Help with cyclone build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thingybob

If it aint broke dont fix it
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all can anyone help I want to build a cyclone system are aluminium cyclones better than plastic and would making a recepticle unit in wood be ok or best stick to a metal / plastic drum any help would be appreciated

Dont make the collection drum too big as it will be quite heavy when full of dust plus its dead weight. 60-80 litres is comfortable I find.

If you are making your own cone then sheet metal is possibly easiest. HVAC suppliers will have collars in standard size to the top and bottom of the cone. MDF discs as infill for the ends works quite well. Although, if you find a fly tipped tall road cone in a hedge then you will be doing your civil duty by tidying it up.

I brought in a dust deputy cyclone which is plastic

I made a box from plywood, MDF is porous I glued and screwed all of the sides and the top is secured by 8 over centre latches with a thick rubber gasket under the lid. the cyclone is bolted to the top sat on a bed of silicon. i gave the internal surface a 2 coats of timber sealer
The box is hung on a French cleat with the Nilfisk shop vac on a French cleat shelf next to it.
I started off with a 25 litre metal barrel with a removeable top but it collapsed.

I wouldn't hesitate in making one from plywood again it means you can make it to a size to suit your workshop

D

I brought in a dust deputy cyclone which is plastic

I made a box from plywood, MDF is porous I glued and screwed all of the sides and the top is secured by 8 over centre latches with a thick rubber gasket under the lid. the cyclone is bolted to the top sat on a bed of silicon. i gave the internal surface a 2 coats of timber sealer
The box is hung on a French cleat with the Nilfisk shop vac on a French cleat shelf next to it.
I started off with a 25 litre metal barrel with a removeable top but it collapsed.

I wouldn't hesitate in making one from plywood again it means you can make it to a size to suit your workshop

D
Ditto pretty much for my system with draught excluder seal and all edges silicone caulked on the inside of the box - it works!
dust-extraction.JPG

(The pipe curved behind the Henry is the spare Henry hose - the hose emerging from his nose goes over the top and powers the cyclone)

Read through Bill Pentz's website, yup it's a long one. When you get to the Projects section it will tell you all you need to know on sizing and making a cyclone to his design.

If you mean you want to put one together for a shop vac using off the shelf parts then the plastic ones are smoother than the cast aluminium ones so more efficient.

Pete

Read through Bill Pentz's website, yup it's a long one. When you get to the Projects section it will tell you all you need to know on sizing and making a cyclone to his design.

If you mean you want to put one together for a shop vac using off the shelf parts then the plastic ones are smoother than the cast aluminium ones so more efficient.

Pete
Thanks Pete haven't thought of that also the ally ones I have seen are flanged under the snail cam part at the top so the cone has to be inside the box so it would have to be made taller to allow for same cubic capacity of dust inside box better built on top

Hi all can anyone help I want to build a cyclone system are aluminium cyclones better than plastic and would making a recepticle unit in wood be ok or best stick to a metal / plastic drum any help would be appreciated

I'm sure I read somewhere that a round dust / chip receptacle was recommended, but having said that, I've found the rectangular plywood box I made that fits snugly in the Sys5 Systainer case, works very well and it still captures practically all but the finest of dust that makes it through to the dust extractor bag itself.

II would like to thank you all for the information you have rendered I am now going to price up all components to see if it works out cheaper to build wooden box or buy a barrel and relief valve as board price has gone through the roof , Are there any recommendations as to which cyclone make is best

You don't say what size duct.
I have 4" ducting and built a cone out of polycarbonate sheet.
The sheet needs to be thick enough not to collapse with the suction but thin enough to furl into a cone. I think mine is 2mm.
The narrow end of the cone fits into the "lid" of the drum. I use one of those spring garden sacks inside the drum. When it's full I lift out the sack and swap in an empty one. The full one goes to the tip where "hamster bedding" is free disposal into the green waste.
At the top of the cone I use a 45o angle pipe junction fitted near the edge of the cone top to direct the flow into a spiral. The outflow is in the centre of the cap.
My cone is slightly less steep than the commercial ones.
Although I'm a bit removed from the theoretically optimum design, it works extremely well. I've had it 4 years and still feel no weight in the collection sack under the cartridge filter which is where anything the cyclone misses ends up.

Even then baffles seem 90%+ effective so I wouldn't get too hung up about following Pentz's site to the nth degree

II would like to thank you all for the information you have rendered I am now going to price up all components to see if it works out cheaper to build wooden box or buy a barrel and relief valve as board price has gone through the roof , Are there any recommendations as to which cyclone make is best

Mine is a " Dust Commander " and has 50mm inlet & outlet connections.
I went with this one rather than the cheaper transparent/ white version as it stated it was anti static......I use mine whilst cutting a lot of manmade boards ( MFC, MRMDF, Solid Surface Material etc) which when cutting, tend to create more static electricity and as the Festool extractor & hoses I use are anti static, it made sense to maintain the conductivity.

This is the same cyclone, but this one seems to come with adaptors to reduce down to smaller hose sizes.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Commander-...ocphy=9045052&hvtargid=pla-421810626709&psc=1

Last edited:
I used the Axminster steel cyclone. 100mm. It sits on top of a plywood box in a small ‘shed’ hung on the outside wall of workshop. Powered by a 3hp extractor.

It works very well for me. Longest run is around four m to a p/t and a shorter one to router table and table saw.

Added bonus is that it’s outside - frees up space AND noise is outside.

Ok I ordered a Dust Commander cyclone and a safety valve yesterday be here at the end of the week and a 60ltr drum courtesy of a mate so thanks for help it saved me money and time

Ok I ordered a Dust Commander cyclone and a safety valve yesterday be here at the end of the week and a 60ltr drum courtesy of a mate so thanks for help it saved me money and time
When you install the safety valve, do not install it on the collection drum, as some recommend. Instead, install it on the inlet ducting to the cyclone. The valve is used to reduce the likelihood of the drum collapsing in case the open blast gates are closed suddenly and not to compensate for having flexible drums.

Introducing any vacuum leaks in the drum, which is what the valve will do, will cause the dust and and chips to fill your filters. I don't use a safety valve in my dust collection system, but unfortunately I have experience with vacuum leaks in the drum.

The cyclone arrived today one last question is it detrimental using the standard vac hose or is it best to fit 2" inch hose as the ports are

I use a 50mm dia hose from my dust extractor to the outlet of the cyclone and generally, a 36mm dia hose from the tool to the cyclone.
The 50mm, 36mm and 27mm Festool hoses all have a 50mm dia end on them anyway and that would normally fit into the dust extractor inlet if not used with a cyclone.

It just depends on what you are going to be using the cyclone on.....If you are cutting up a lot of wood and creating larger amounts of sawdust and chips, you will be better off using the larger dia hoses.
If you are using it in conjunction with a sander or a Domino machine, then the smaller dia hose will be preferable.

Last edited:
I have a large Electra beckum extractor for the P/T ,table saw and router table the cyclone is for bench top machines belt sander small band saw scroll saw and general cleaning . I have a 50mm tube that I will fix to the outlet side then 34 mm hose to inlet I found that a rubber drain boss 55mm od and 32 I'd is a perfect fit in cyclone inlet outlet tubes

Back