Help with buying a new table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
i am new to the forum
I am looking for help buying a new table saw.
I have currently in my possesion a delta 10" benchtop table saw 36525
which when i bought (3 years ago)it was good well thats what i thought
but recently i have learnt how to set it up properly and the results are not very good the mitre slot run off against the blade ect, so i think its time i bought a new saw.
From looking thorough the threads i am still none the wiser i have a small workshop about 6x6 foot so most of my work has to be done out side so with this in mind it has to be compact and light enough to move.

i have been give a list of saws from the local dealer in Dublin which one do you guys think is the best my budget is around 800 euro about 500 gps
will any of these be a step up from what i have

metabo ts250
fox F36524
woodster st12

basically i just want to get dead straight cuts

Thnak you

Greg

Greg,

I would try and stretch your budget slightly and get the Jet SuperSaw which McQuillan's have on special for €999 - the same saw is around £1k in the UK so at the McQuillans price its a real bargain.

<edit> I've just read your post properly and noticed your space restriction - maybe the Jet wouldn't be such a good idea :roll: How about a guide rail system? Even the Festool would be well within your budget, and you could keep the Delta for basic ripping.

Cheers,
Neil

Hi Neil

Thanks for the reply but the delta runs off about a 16th of an inch when you rip might look into the festool though

Greg

Hi Gary

Yes i was looking at the kity, is the fox f36524 a copy of this saw don't think i can get the kity in ireland so it might be mad money to get it shipped

Greg

Hi Greg. I don't know your particular saw but I would imagine that it should be possible to adjust the motor so as to align the blade with the mitre slot. If you search on this forum there is a good tutorial by Scrit on setting up a table saw. On my saw, there are 4 bolts going through the table that support the motor. Loosening these enables me to twist the motor and align the blade with the mitre slot. It takes a little while as it is all trial and error but you get there in the end.

Maybe there will be someone along later who actually has the saw and can advise.

Finally, I own the 8" fox that you mention and I'm happy with it now but it took a lot of setting up. Search on the forum for my and others experiences with it. What I would say, is that it isn't very portable as it has a cast iron top, although I do have mine on wheels as i too only have a small workshop.

Best regards,

Steve

If portability is an issue, then a triton workstation would seem the best option - you can put it away easily when not using it, its well within your budget, you'll get a circular saw to use outside of the workstation, and it's very accurate.

ByronBlack":pwchyopx said:
If portability is an issue, then a triton workstation would seem the best option - you can put it away easily when not using it, its well within your budget, you'll get a circular saw to use outside of the workstation, and it's very accurate.
Good call Byron, i'll second that.

Thank for all your replies

how accurate is the triton work centre i looked at the videos and it does look impressive. does the blade tilt like a table saw and can it do raised panels, can you take off the splitter and guard easly, i noticed there is a plainer attachment
would this be good enough to do edge jointing

Greg

Have you thought of a Combination saw?

Table saw one side - flip it over and it's a Mitre saw. Portable too and with some extra roller supports can cope with large pieces.
DeWalt do a range of them.

Rod

The Fox is a clone of the Kity 419 but with a cast iron top so if your portability requirements include having to lift the saw (rather than wheel it on castors) you need to bear this in mind. KB Keighley list the Fox as weighing 69 Kgs whilst the Kity is only 25 Kgs.

Grahame

Hi all thanks for you replies

Tony the Axminster sounds really good, I read your review on it and one of the things that i don't like about my current is the splitter guard i have to get under the machine to get it off it is really annoying, i will email Axminster and see how much the delivery cost to ireland will be.

As regards to the fox or the kitty does the splitter guard come off easily and is the blade tilt accurate with the delta you have to get under the saw to get a full tilt of 45*.
Also which has the better fence the fox looks a bit small

Regards

Greg

Hi Greg,

I too am in the market for a new saw...and was wondering have you bought the Axminster, and if so whats your thoughts?

A smaller saw would suit my workshop, but I don't need something that has a wandering cut!

Cheers,

:)

hi Greg
I would also add my endosment to the Axminster saw very good value,however the slidning table will take up a lot of space,but can be demounted .

Hi Guys,

Because i am in Ireland the shipping cost and the stirling against the euro prices throw Axminster out of my budget.

which axminster saw are you refereing to

I was also looking at the Triton workstation which looked good but here on the forum there was mixed opion on them so it put me off a little bit having said that i wonder if the people giving it a jurys out review had the Triton circular saw made for the workstation.

Here in Dublin the options open to me are the fox F36524 8" which is similar to the kity
metabo ts250
woodster st12
Does anyone know about this table saw http://cgi.ebay.ie/SAW-BENCH-TABLE-SAW- ... dZViewItem

Regards

Greg

Greg":2lr92ur8 said:
Does anyone know about this table saw http://cgi.ebay.ie/SAW-BENCH-TABLE-SAW- ... dZViewItem
Greg

That's a Fox 36524. I've got one & am pleased with it so far. For me it was a toss up between the fox & a triton. Fox won because I managed to get one locally (delivered to my work) for £250 (and cost was/is a serious consideration for me). If you do go for one, make sure you've got the (floor) space - it's big when all put together. The triton may be better on this score - I now have to pack my workshop/garage away carefully at the end of the week-end to be able to get the car in. OH, and do a search here for how to put it together - the manual is useless.

Greg":34zpw7js said:
Hi Guys,

I was also looking at the Triton workstation which looked good but here on the forum there was mixed opion on them so it put me off a little bit having said that i wonder if the people giving it a jurys out review had the Triton circular saw made for the workstation.

Greg

I have used my Triton Workcentre with a 190 mm Makita saw as well as the 235 mm Triton saw. The setup worked very well with the Makita saw but the depth of cut was very poor (<35 mm with the height winder installed). The Triton saw, being made for the worksentre, is also much easier to set up and very powerful (3 hp). I reckon that, performance wise, it punches well above its weight.

Back