help with bench jointer/planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynuke

Reaction score
Being new to the forum i would just like to say hello to you all before i begin. HELLO!
I have just got my hands on a bench planer and am tryin to get to grips wiv it. The problem i have got is, that when i run a piece of timber through, the last couple of inches ALWAYS! :x ends up wiv a semi circular indentation of the blades in it. What am i doin wrong? Pushin down to hard? in-feed table not set correctly? Any help and advive anyone can give will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi lynuke

Welcome to the forum.

You are experiencing what is called snipe and this is not uncommon. Which make and model of planer have you got?

Cheers
Neil

Hi neil

Its actually a planer/thicknesser. It's a few years old and it's an AEG solo 1.

My first thought would be that the blades are set too high and as the end of the timber leaves the infeed table it is dropping onto the outfeed and creating this problem. Reset your planer blades to be inline with the outfeed table. Then again I could be wrong, who knows without looking at it. Regards Andy

i have a mafell ad 160, and on the top is the planer, and i always have to remember when to transfer the weight as the wood goes over the cutter block. although you need to keep weight on the front end, you need to ensure that the rear does not lift and thus give you snipe.

on almost all planers there does seem to be a problem with initial snipe if the bed is short, so often it is a good idea to make a subsidiary bed that gives longer support.

really snipe is to do with the wood tipping.

so have you checked the instructions, and set both input and output beds properly in relation to each other, and then in relation to the blades? the beds need to be horizontal in both planes.

paul :wink:

Cheers paul.
Thanks for the advice. i will try what you suggested and let ya know how i get on.

thanks

Andy Pullen":3tmigart said:
My first thought would be that the blades are set too high and as the end of the timber leaves the infeed table it is dropping onto the outfeed and creating this problem. Reset your planer blades to be inline with the outfeed table. Then again I could be wrong, who knows without looking at it. Regards Andy

Andy, I thought this when I had a similar prob with my FOX P/L but then thinking about it realised that to alter the blades for the planer also altered them for the thicknesser. Then I realised all I had to do was alter the outfeed table. Also, on the fox, one has to alter the table across the table, my table was a few degrees out and I had been altering the blades to make a horizontal cut which mucked up the squareness on the thicknesser.

Koolwabbit

Finally got round to sorting out planer! It turns out the out feed table was all out of kilter, now i have levelled it up properly it works a dream.

Thanks guys for all the advice.

If it happens again in the future and you don't want a couple of hours resetting everything up, you an always have your timber over length and then cut the snipe off.

Back