Help, Which One

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickvp1

Reaction score
Hi All
I am completely new to turning, and been looking at the following. Would anyone like to pass comment on which one they would recommend. Any comments I would be very grateful for as it looks like a mine field to me.
1;Record DML 305
2;Axminster AWSL
3; Axminster AWVSL
4;Scheppach DMT 450
5;Fox F46- 251
6;Jet 10141
Please Help
Mick

Hello Mick and welcome :D
Can't really help with your choice but the Jet seems to get reviews.
Best thing to do is try and get to see them in the flesh,and have a go if possible.
I believe Axminster are opening a shop in the Midlands,Nuneaton i think,so you should be able to go and see most of them their :?

Ive got the jet and have had no problems with it at all. If you want a mini lathe then I'd certainly recommend it for build quality, etc. I got mine via Axminster so have the good after service as well. Only limitations are the size and that would be true of all of these lathes

Pete

:D 8) :D Hello there Mick !

Haven't owned / used any of those you list, but Jet stuff is known and well respected ( not that the others aren't.. )... but for sure, you'll not go far wrong with their gear ! :wink: :D

Big welcome to you too... magic that you've found your way here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cannot speak directly of the lathes in question but I have had an Axminster M330 for about ten years. It is not my main lathe but it has seen a lot of service and I have used it for demonstrations where it has been running for up to four hours non-stop. Nothing has ever broken failed or caused me bother in that time. What's more, when I have had problems with other items bought from Axminster their customer service has been exemplary.

Walter

I have the AWVSL as a second lathe which I use for things like pens, lightpulls and for demonstrating where it gets used for all sorts of things including offcentre and out off balance stuff and I cant fault it.

john

Have heard the 305 ( record ) motor is in a silly place, and sucks in sanding dust.

Can't comment on the rest

Loz

Thanks to you all for your advice, I have been out today and got the Record
DML 305 Midi Lathe. Now its time to play :D
Many Thanks
Mick

Hi Jenx
Well I have managed to produce lots of chippings, dust and rubbish :oops:
But enjoying myself.:D When I have somthing decent to show, then I will post a photo. Its a shame I have to work, Its getting in the way of turning time.
Regards
Mick

You will never have anything that you consider decent enough to show. No turner I know is satisfied with anything he / she makes for more than half an hour so just stick the pics up. However bad you think it is, we have all been there (some of us still are) and it's a great way of gaining confidence as people point out the good things and the ways to improve.

Pete

Absolutley agree with Pete 100% ! get the piccys up Mick... I'm relatively new at this caper... ( 11/2 Years ), Lads Like Loz, JohnnyT, even Pete to a degree too.... all relative beginners, and the absolute best way to gain tips, and aids is to get your stuff 'involved' and the guidance of others here...
We do have one 'contributor' who has a slightly 'odd' way of encouraging the rest of us... but we've learnt to live with him and alsomt love him for his quirks ( well, maybe not quite.. but almost ! )..

For sure, there's not a bad bloke amongst the lot of them ( or girl.. cause Mrs S, TechnoMage & Lightweeder do some brilliant stuff and always have great words for the efforts of others )... Post your efforts... I cannot encourage that enough... you will push your turnery forward in leaps and bounds just by getting the help of the folks here, honestly !

Everyone starts by approximately the same results being replicated...
catches galore, stuff flying off the machine to meet you on the nose and forehead, going through the side of your bowls or goblets etc, everyone's done it... and learnt from it...

You get your stuff up there, with absolute confidence that you'll get bucketloads of encouragement and guidance... thats what this place is for !.. ( and it works :wink: :D )

I bet Michaelangelo magnolia's his mother's ceiling before he did the Cistine Chapel ... we all start at the lower end Mick... the learning's 95% of the fun :wink: :D 8) :D

Yep, I agree too. I have never yet made anything I am 100% happy with and I have been making stuff for 20 years and selling it for 10. Amazingly other people seem to like it and keep buying things.

However poor you think you work is, put it up, all you will get on this forum is encouragement and ideas for how to improve your work.

Back