Help wanted please cutting mahogany

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobo1

Established Member
Reaction score
I am after a bit of help please, I have bought some pieces of mahogany around 1 inch thick by about two inches across, now I am wanting to cut them length ways so what type of saw will be best to use? ie bandsaw-tablesaw etc. I am wanting to make some bonsai tables out of them so any ideas or tips would be great, there around 12 inches long each
thanks in advance

Any saw will do it really. Of the powered variety, a bandsaw would be less wasteful. A handsaw will do the job just as well and much cheaper.

Marcros is correct but if you have a lot to do I might be tempted to say use the table saw.

Mine has a stronger fence than my bandsaw but its noisy and wasteful compared to the bandsaw.

Hi thanks for the replys, I have a old table saw and a scroll saw but thinking of buying a bandsaw if needed. I bought a belt and disk sander a few weeks ago and now need a few extra tools. I am more of a light hobbyist and my next question was going to be if power saw is needed whats the best smallest type to get? I had a powercraft bandsaw but could never get it to cut in a straight line so gave it away.

Even the cheaper bandsaws will cut well, they need a good blade, the correct one for the job.
They are looked on as a really safe type of saw and don't have a thick saw "kerf".
also Setting of the guides and back wheels is also crucial for a decent cut.
There's loads here on the subject, Go and get that saw back!
I have just stripped a black and decker d399 3 wheel bandsaw that my dad's had for ages and re- comisioned it. set every thing up best as I could, new blades etc, and it cuts really well for a cheapie, I probably wouldn't have bothered but it was his and its usefull for some jobs around the shop. Regards Rodders

if I go out and spend around £100 on a cheap end range of bandsaw and change the blade etc would that get it cutting straight ? or am I better looking for a second hand machine?. I cant get my old one back as I listed it on a free site sadly.

ideally both- get a better saw for the money, secondhand.

The models that you are looking for should come up regularly because people upgrade for greater cutting capacity. Try a wanted ad in the forum section. These are probably better than the ones that have been sat in a shed and never set up correctly from new- although either has potential to do what you need it to.

Back