Help wanted choosing hollowing tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Huxley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my second attempt to post this, can't find the first, I appologise if I have duplicated.
Could anyone advise me what hollowing tool is the best for the money.
I have been looking at the Sorby Multi-tip and Hollowmaster.
I would like to have a go at making vases and closed boxes (spaceship shapes) and similar.
Having looked through catalogues there seems a lot to choose from and all quite expensive and I am sure some may be quite difficult to use. I have been turning about three years but never tried hollow forms. I would appreciate any advice you could offer me.
I am going to the Stoneleigh wood show and hoping theres some discount there. (Poor old OAP)
Many thanks Dave

Hollow forms are not my scene, partly because of disillusionment with many of the the cheaper tool options, to me they are just too much hard work, or maybe it's just me finds them difficult to use on a consistent basis.

If I were to decide to delve into the genre I think I would have to bite the bullet and buy the Munro Tool or a very near equivalent.

Having tried one several times on both green and dry wood I find it the most forgiving and least frightening tool I have tried.

Mark Hancock will be at Stonleigh and no doubt will have a Munro Tool in tow, other similar shielded cup cutting tools should also be there.

Non of them cheap but they have the great advantage of minimal risk of a catch.

i agree with chj, i do allot of hollow form work and use the hamlet big brother for the majority of it. i havent tried teh munro but i am told its easier to use than the hamlet.

Many thanks for the helpful advice, have looked at the Munroe on You Tube having read your replies and looks an excellent well made tool although quite expensive (£175 for standard tool) but you only get what you pay for.
Hopefully I'll get chance to have a chat with Mark at Stoneleigh.
I'm wondering now if I can I justify this amount for the use it will get.But if I get a cheap tool I cannot use it will probably end in the bin!
Once again many thanks to you both.
Dave.

it is allot of money especially when you have never tried hollow form work before, maybe you could have a go before you invest, maybe a one day course or a day with someone local to you.

Dave.
I've been using the Sorby multi tip tool (RS200KT) the last few days,and am getting to like it the more i use it.
I like the fact that the tool base is flat so there is little chance of it pulling down too hard when it catches.I have so far managed to get to about 4" depth.Though the tool can go deeper.It ideal i think for smaller pieces.
I would also like to be able to do bigger deeper pieces,safely which is where the bigger tools come into play,but as you say are expensive.

I use the Hamlet Little brother (couldn't afford the Big Brother) it was a bit of a pain to use when I first got it but once you learn how to set the cutter blade it works very well, now I am quite happy with it.

Phil

Whilst I really like my Munro tool I would say that it isn't suitable for boxes unless you make big ones. The standard tool is just too big for that. I believe that there's now a smaller one available though.

Even if you get one the right size it still may not be suitable - I find that the Munro often struggles with clogging on dry wood and that's what you want to be using for boxes (to get good lid fits without the wood moving). It's great for vases from wet or wettish wood though - meters long shavings flying over your shoulder :D

I have the Sorby straight multi tip hollower and find that useful for small boxes. It can be a little grabby whilst learning but used properly it works well.

If you really want to save money why not make your own - http://www.aroundthewoods.com/articulated.shtml

I've done this a few times and the tools work well. The cutting tip can be the Sorby carbide one from the hollowing set, a HSS scraper tip, a small piece of masonry nail.

Duncan

I am over whelmed with all your help and imformation which I will be able to use when deciding which to buy at Stoneleigh.

As mentioned earlier I have'nt tried hollow forms except for the normal bowls, goblets, and end grain boxes etc which I use the gouges on, we had a demo at my local turning club last week ( Shrewsbury) by John Johnson he turned a lidded box space ship shape and was using a small Hamlet hollowing tool, he did say it took some grip to hold it in the right position, and he's quite a big fellow, so I think thats out, although it made a perfect finnish.

I will have to start small and hopefully get into the deeper things later on and would like to have ago at making one as Duncan has, I have all the bits and pieces I need and time's not an issue. Once again thanks everyone. Dave.

I have one of the Munro type ring tools with the chip limiter on it. Seems that it is always set too deep and it will jam up, or set tll shallow and won't cut hardly at all. I have been using the Kelton hollowers, and like them a lot. I can be pretty aggressive with them. For finish cuts, I like the micro grained carbide disc cutters (Hunter tools, and Eliminator) which also are excellent for boxes. The multi tip tools work, but I found it easier to switch to a different curve, than to adjust the tip.

Do you guys have any of the articulated hollowing tools over there? I have a Monster articulated hollowing set up (others are Elbow, and Kobra). They are good for forms up to about 8 inches deep. The jointed arm really requires only finger tip control, and I love the laser system on mine. They really make hollowing easy.

robo hippy

I have certainly gained a lot of helpful info with all your postings, Paul J since you mentioned the video on You Tube by Sorbys hollowers I have seen them in action, I wished it was easy as it looks.

Since your imput Robo I have found the Kelton hollowing systems on the net, Toolpost have them in stock in the UK, I see Mike Mahony has made an instructional video on the Kelton (Mc Naughton Centre Saving system ) so I may have a look at that before I decide which way to go.
Many thanks everyone, Dave

Dave, I also did a DVD on coring with the McNaughton, and the Tool Post is carrying it. A bit different from Mikes, and it does show the laser pointer that McNaughton made for their coring system. A great help for me.
robo hippy

I didn't realise that they had a laser attachment - now that would be really useful and a real stress reliever whilst coring. Given the price though I'll have a go at making my own first. Now why didn't I think of it sooner!

Duncan

I had heard of people making their own a while back, but lacking metal skills, I got one. I did modify it by having it welded to the tool handle. It doesn't make my aim any better, but it lets me know if I am too deep or too shallow. I hate making lamp shades!
robo hippy

Back