HELP TO MAKE SOMETHING PLEASE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
I'm looking for someone in my location, that could make a small, steel unit to fit on a machine for me . It would be about 3" x 4" x 3/4", with holes etc.

This is not my thing at all and if there is someone nearby that's a hobbyist in metalwork/engineering , that would be good.

I'm South of Birmingham B47 area

Thanks

Alex

Hi

Try searching the likes of Farnell Components or RS Components - they supply all manner of boxes for housing electronic projects etc.

Regards Mick

Thanks Mick, but not looking for that, or anything for electrical bits. What I need is someone to make/cut a solid steel part with holes and screws to fit onto a machine.

Alex

OK, if nobody in the forum is interested, can anyone point me in the direction of an engineering shop near my area that could machine a small one off metal unit for me please.

Alex

What are you actually wanting? A solid steel part with screws and holes is not much to go on- can you sketch it? How accurate does it need to be?

Thanks for the thought Mick, but this requires also the fitting of a bearing wheel and the unit needs to be solid with hex bolts and will be under pressure when in use.

I appreciate you commenting though and if they were local to me I would be round there to discuss.. Wish others would respond.

Alex

Alexam":3t80nlib said:
Wish others would respond.
Alex

I think you need to show us a drawing if you want any more response. A "a solid steel part with holes and screws" is not much to go on.
You might also find a bigger audience if you post on the forum at http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/ I think it's mostly woodworkers here.

Hi

Agreed - you need to give us more of an idea of what you want - my psychic powers are exhausted :(

Getting a 'one off' made is always challenging

Regards Mick

Sorry guys, You're right, I'll work something out. I wanted someone local so that I could go and explain, or better still get them to come over and see the job.

Alex

Hi Alex

If you could get some drawings sorted of what you want I may be able to make it but I'm in Somerset...

Thanks for the offer Lee, but my son has today come up with one of his friends who is into engineering and I'm awaiting a call. He lives locally.

Decided to see if just a grooved bearing ( grooved as in a center slot of 1/32" bepth in the centre of the wheel bearing) could be fitted in place of one of the bearing guides. That may work. Any ideas on who I may be able to chat to locally - West Midlands area?

Alex

we are not psychic mate a sketch as previously suggested would help, what is it fit, what does it do etc. I have engineering facilities and can make almost anything but need a drawing.

Hi Wildman,
The idea now would be to replace the upper left blade guide with a bearing that runs vertically and can keep a 1/4" or 1/8" blade in position, under tension. The bearing needs to have a slot that the blade can sit in and will be to only part keeping the blade in position. The idea being tha the blade can twist without moving from the verticle. The blade is tensioned by about 1/8" from verticle to sit in the bearing slot. The top and bottom guides and rear bearings will be moved out of the way and will not be near the blade when running.

The attached photo is of the guide block (Recor BS400) with the rear thrust bearing (on the right) removed.
This shows the guard block supported by the shaft on the top left with the blade to the right of that.
Hope this helps you understand the problem.

Attachments

• Without guard_RR.jpg
    Without guard_RR.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 1,273
That's your BS400 isn't it?

Here's a home made idea that may just work. Buy the bearing at the right size you want (I get them online from these guys since they cost about £2 when RP wanted £18 for the exact same bearing)

Make a little faced off backing board that has a spigot and sits in your chuck jaws. Screw the bearing, dead centred to this backing board with a washer holding it firmly in place and then with the lathe running carefully use a pointed HSS tool to score the groove you need in the wheel of the bearing.

If the surface of the bearing is too hard, try a carbide drill bit that you either hold with pliers of better yet mount into a home made handle

Thanks for the input Bob.

I don't have a lathe so could not do this. However, I had thought of asking the bearing manufacturer to cut the groove for me, but need something to hold it in place on the bandsaw. The BS400 guides would hardly just hold it sufficiently and that's why I thought of something to replace one of the guides. ??

Latest posts

Back