Help Stuck Nut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob_c

Established Member
Reaction score
Any tips on how to get a large nut off the spindle on my radial arm which i havent used for several months.Cant get the blade off.Ive tried several applications of wd40 and heating the nut gently but to no avail! The thread is what looks like acme .I dont want to put too much pressure with spanners as it moves the radial arm about and its not the rigid cast iron arm type.

Bob have you looked at the possibility of a left hand thread on the saw
sorry to state the obvious but DAMHIKT,

Nigel

Nigel":3348qpfb said:

Nigel
No its not that :)

J D Architectural Joinery":3r9zj0bn said:
sometimes to tighten a stuck nut can help to slacken it. If you know what I mean
Tried that ,just wont budge at all.

I don’t suppose any of you neighbours have a compressor and an impact wrench? These apply repeated percussion where it is needed. It also works without locking the blade/shaft (a spindle lock could get damaged).
I am assuming you don’t have one of this yourself or you wouldn’t be asking…
Jon.

J D Architectural Joinery":1ifkzkxn said:
It sounds bruttle but maybe, gently smacking the nut with a hammer a few times, like loosing the key to your chuck.

This is something I've done in the past...helps to break the 'stiction' - Rob

Ive tried tapping it with a hammer.If the spindle shaft was more like 1" thick id be a bit more aggresive but its only a 5/8" spindle.I dont know any one with a compressor or impact wrench,ive only a small airbrush compressor.
Is removing the motor assembly from the arm and putting it in a vice worth trying?

Is it possible to grip the blade with a clamp or clamp some wood to the blade to provide something to hold back with, so you can swing on the spanner.

OLD":1691kzj4 said:
Is it possible to grip the blade with a clamp or clamp some wood to the blade to provide something to hold back with, so you can swing on the spanner.
Ive got a spanner on the shaft behind the blade it is wedged against the table to prevent it moving.Im using another spanner on the nut.But nothing is moving.I cant understand it ,it is a little rusty but no where enough to have the nut jammed on this tight.

My next try would be to play some heat to the nut with a gas blowlamp it need not be red hot just enough to create a difference to the spindle,

Cheers Nigel

I don't suppose you have an impact screwdriver with some socket fittings? and apply some heat with a hot air gun. I would also be inclined to whack the end of the spanner with a mallet or lump of wood. It just needs a shock, the whack will have some inertia . I would be less inclined to get the assembly in a vice, that way leads to damage or marking things that shouldn't be. Also wire brush the thread showing and spray a touch of oil on it. Smacking the nut sideways will possibly damage the bearings putting micro tiny flats on the balls and lead to premature failure.

Alan

Just tried a blowtorch,no luck at all.I havent a impact driver either.Do have a socket set but the nut is bigger than all the sockets.

Its ok saying that,but i dont want to damage the spindle or arm,as you cant get spares for this any more! :eek:
Here a couple of pics of the offending part.
567926109-DSC_0003.JPG

42092532-DSC_0008.JPG

bob_c":3mko8wof said:
Nigel":3mko8wof said:

Nigel
No its not that :)

Bob, how do you know it's not a left hand thread, assume you can see some of the thread exposed ?

Only it's the first thought that came to me also.........

The other thing to try, which is a bit brutish, is a large stilson wrench, these increase their grip on the nut the more force you use, much loved by plumbers, mechanics and me for tough nuts !

Edit, whoops, beaten to it, pics weren't there when I posted.........
Cheers, Paul. :D

Have to tried giving the spanner a sharp rap with a hammer
dennis

Latest posts

Back