Help! Smelly foxes under the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La Gib

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have foxes under my shed which for a while wasn't so bad but now there is a real stink of damp dog in there.

Part of my work shop was left over from a photo shoot believe it or not ( summer house) and the floor boards are nice 8 x 1 redwood. All good until the foxy smell creeps up between the shrinkage gaps between the boards. It has been made worse and come to a head with all this rain.

I have been told by a humane animal control person to make a trap door and wee down there, yes you heard it right, wee!

Thing is whats gonna be worse Damp dog, wee or damp dog/wee combination.

The workshop is on breeze block pillars so it's really easy for the stinkers to be in there I will soon wall it up but would like to evict them first.

So any ideas on this rather aromatic of problems. How to get rid of whiff and offending foxes. Phew!

Cheers Alan

Friend of mine had foxes under a shed. She was reluctant to 'deal' with them and tried any number of products to deter them. After putting up with mess/scent etc all over the garden, various scavenged body parts, screams through the night etc she reluctantly had them despatched by a local gamekeeper.

You may have to do the same.

Don't think she tried to have a ?lash in the shed , mind you.

I'd just put something down there that has a really potent (but not a nasty) smell, and then wait till they get sick of it and board up all the entrances?
They have some advice here, there's a number you can ring for info.

Cheers _Dan

Lion Poo.
I have a contact who can supply it.
I wil not be involved in the collection or delivery process. It stinks.

Chunko'.

I just had our 3 chickens ripped to pieces in the night by a fox - it did not even eat any of them, just mindless slaughter. I hate them!! Get the council out to capture and kill them. Trouble is, lots of people think they are cute and cuddly and even feed them, causing massive problems, as they have no natural predators.

Mark

MOD EDIT. As marcros said it is totally irresponsible to post the use of an air rifle on open forum

Cheers,

Mike

i am all for shooting foxes, but an air rifle is not an appropriate weapon to use, and I would suggest that it is irresponsible to suggest doing so on a public forum!

Once evicted, you may also have to see if the foxes have left anything under there before you brick it up.
If a fox stumbles across a large food source ie Chicken Coop It will, If undisturbed, take all the chickens and bury what it cant eat, to eat later.

La Gib":3atjct9n said:
Hi all.

I have foxes under my shed which for a while wasn't so bad but now there is a real stink of damp dog in ther

Cheers Alan

This may also be why the smell wasn't so bad, and has gotten worse, your breeze block pillars might be the perfect fox larder.

If I were you, I would just put aside a day (Operation Fox) and use your cunning to get him out of there.
Play Loud music, machine some Iroko and sweep the dust through the gaps between the floor boards, poke sticks in there, chuck a couple of smoke pellets in there, and stomp around. Once he is out get in there with a torch (or send in a small child) and see if there is any food. Then wall it up, Fox Proof it, and pee on it before he gets back.

La Gib":1s5v9uew said:
Hi all.

I have foxes under my shed which for a while wasn't so bad but now there is a real stink of damp dog in there.

Part of my work shop was left over from a photo shoot believe it or not ( summer house) and the floor boards are nice 8 x 1 redwood. All good until the foxy smell creeps up between the shrinkage gaps between the boards. It has been made worse and come to a head with all this rain.

I have been told by a humane animal control person to make a trap door and wee down there, yes you heard it right, wee!

Thing is whats gonna be worse Damp dog, wee or damp dog/wee combination.

The workshop is on breeze block pillars so it's really easy for the stinkers to be in there I will soon wall it up but would like to evict them first.

So any ideas on this rather aromatic of problems. How to get rid of whiff and offending foxes. Phew!

Cheers Alan

The foxes will see your pee as coming from a alpha fox and most times will go and find another den.

Cheers

Mike

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies.

I will have to start walling it up then do the smoke pellet idea. That sounds like a good plan.

Cheers Alan

Good grief! I think that I have just found the reason that small children exist :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Especially nw chimneys have got smaller..

I agree that an inspection as to if they have used it as food storage is a good idea or you just may find it VERY smelly if England ever gets warm this summer?

Driving them away without preventing replacements taking up residence is pointless.
If you intend filling in the gaps, just go ahead, but remember, Foxes are great diggers.
Locally the council in an area south of us traps them, then dumps 'em on us!
I would add that an air rifle, of the restricted kind, would be more effective as a club!

Roy.

Don't if this works with foxes but I've got a house in Savannah, USA - crawl spaces run under all the houses and get filled with rats/cats/other furry things. There we go to the supermarket and buy a LARGE can of chilli powder, crawl under and sprinkle the chilli powder everywhere; end of problem and lasts for ages. Failing that you can always buy some terriers.

mbartlett99":39o895hz said:
Don't if this works with foxes but I've got a house in Savannah, USA - crawl spaces run under all the houses and get filled with rats/cats/other furry things. There we go to the supermarket and buy a LARGE can of chilli powder, crawl under and sprinkle the chilli powder everywhere; end of problem and lasts for ages. Failing that you can always buy some terriers.

It seems to discourage cats in the garden- sprinkling a bit on the flower beds, although needs to be done regularly to begin with. Maybe under a shed, it shouldnt wash away.

Latest posts

Back