Help please, to identify this wood ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know what species this wood is ...

(This is my first attempt at posting pictures)

Planed surface:
image001.jpg

End grain:
image003.jpg

Assuming you can see the pictures, any ideas ?

Edited with larger pictures.

i would say oak /ash too ,is it an english wood? because if its european it could be a dozen types of wood

I've edited the original post to make the pictures larger.

The wood was used to construct the end facings of a large sliding door, approx. 50 years ago. That's all I know about where it comes from.

Unmistakably oak. The colour is straw/brown. The tangential grain (top picture) shows a characteristic ring porous, coarse, open grain. You can even faintly see the greyish dark brown medullary rays running left to right in this view.

The end grain pictures reveal the bands of open pores of spring growth alternating with dense summer growth. However, what seals it as oak on this wiew are the vertically running white ribbony medullary rays.

As to species, it could be an European oak such as Quercus patreae or Quercus robur, or one of the American oaks such as Quercus alba. It could be one of many of this type of oak, but the three I've mentioned are probably the most likely candidates.

It's certainly not a red oak as the end grain is too dense lacking the typical very open pores due to the lack of tyloses typical of the red oak varieties. It's also the wrong colour and not open grained enough. Anyway, they (red oaks) are native to the north American continent and not in great demand in Europe. Having said that, red oaks have been imported and planted in the UK, have adapted, and grow very successfully here. Slainte.

I can't help you at all with that one tiler if you are looking for an identification. All I can tell is that one is reddish and the other slightly reminiscent of a walnut.

If you could get some shots that are focused, with good infill lighting and between 600 or 900 pixels on the long edge at 75- 100 dpi I'd be happy to have another look for you. Slainte.

Thanks but both photos are of the same wood. I will try to take a picture in the daylight.

Latest posts

Back