Help needed with Grinder setup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miles_hot

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a Axi grinder and the Tormek kit to allow me to use the Tormek jigs with the grinder. I have not yet built the platform needed however I think that I may have an issue and want some advice.

The problem: Sticking out of grinder there are two sturdy bars onto which the supplied tool rest attach. This is different to illustration in the manual which has bolt holes on the wheel guards. I strongly suspect that these projections will either prevent the fitting of the Tormek bar or will interfere with the movement of the jigs.

The question
How do I remove these? Is it safe / sensible to do so? Having never stripped a grinder down before I thought it sensible to ask before trashing the thing and ruining my chances of sending it back if I've bought a pup.

Many thanks!

Miles
PS Best if I can do this tomorrow night before it might be needed for the bash on Saturday :)

Miles

It looks like you need to remove the outer wheel covers , Then take the wheels off

Then you should be able to remove the brackets

I assume its the silver bars with the slots in that you need removing ?

Blister":11crludj said:
Miles

It looks like you need to remove the outer wheel covers , Then take the wheels off

That's correct - Do I need to remove the wheels as well as the covers to be able to get to these things?

Miles

Paul.J":28y5rsrb said:
I had a similar thing on the Perform grinder i had.i think i just snapped em off :?

What are you, the bloody hulk? These are approx 3 mm steel :)

Bodrighy":q0agmr3g said:
I( took a hacksaw to mine on a record grinder to use the Sorby rig.

Pete

If possible I'd like to keep them intact incase I ever want to revert to the Factory setup :)

Miles

miles_hot":1ifpf2br said:
Blister":1ifpf2br said:
Miles

That's correct - Do I need to remove the wheels as well as the covers to be able to get to these things?

Miles

Yep :lol:

Hi Miles,

I have a couple of grinders, one which is similar in design.

Take out the bolts holding the outside wheel cover, then if you loosen the nut holding the grinding wheel on you may find that the guard next to the motor can slide out a little bit allowing you to simply push the rest guard bracket around the spindle towards the back of the grinder. This gets it out of the way with minimum intrusion and still keeps them in place and intact.

Sorry Paul, don't mean to be rude but snapping them off is just too funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Lee.

Latest posts

Back