Help! my cabinet door plans have got unhinged

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete_l

Reaction score
Ok Newbie alert.
I've been making a smallish cupboard/shelf thing for the sitting room. It's mostly Maple veneered MDF, 19mm thick and I'm just about finished. The last job is to put the doors on the bottom cupboard section. I have got made the doors to be a flush fit and was planning to use some concealed hinges (screwfix #14751) to attach the doors.
Following some "my mate says" advice, I made a dummy door to get the spacings right and that's when I realised that concealed hinges only really work when the door closes over the frame, not flush with it.
So, I'm left with having to fall back to traditional hinges (unless anyone has a "trade secret" they could share?) which would attach to the inside frame of tje cupboard, but would have to screw into the side of the MDF door - which doesn't strike me as being a very secure thing to do.
What would you suggest please, for alternates to side-fitting hinges. So far the ones I'm considering are

p2486586_l.jpg
or these
p4763486_l.jpg

update: I've just checked the post. For some reason, the forum software doesn't like the inages I included. For clarity they are images of a "easy mount" hinge and a cranked hinge

pete_l":e35x6o10 said:
Following some "my mate says" advice, I made a dummy door to get the spacings right and that's when I realised that concealed hinges only really work when the door closes over the frame, not flush with it.

If you mean the normal type of concealed hinges, they can be used for both lay-on and inset doors. Lots of information on the Woodfit site, like this http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php ... ormation+1

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hmm, that's interesting Paul, thanks for the response.
The ones I have are more like the ones on the left of the page in your link. It looks like I would need the ones on the right side of that page

pete_l":aimdg3g6 said:
Hmm, that's interesting Paul, thanks for the response.
The ones I have are a different make from yours. The section that attaches to the "cup" which is set into the door is much flatter than the ones in your illustration, which have a distinct arch to their design.
Mine are closer to this type http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php ... %3B+Sprung

A few more posts and the spam trap should go away.

The good news is, this came to a happy conclusion. I ordered a selection of hinges from Toolstation, which arrived at lunchtime today. The ones that work best are their part #13965 - easy mount concealed hinge. (the first image in my original post)
In brief this is a 90° hinge that works with flush fitted doors. It's got some bad reviews on the TS site, but from looking at the hinges, those seem to me to be from people who bought the wrong product. Fitting was quite simple: I aligned the back end of the "door" part with the edge of my door, screwed in the two adjustable screws then, with the door closed and in the right place screwed in the plate to the cupboard frame. Since both sides of the hinge have 2 adjustable screw holes and two fixed ones, it's easy to tune the fit.
They aren't particularly heavy-duty hinges, but seem adequate for supporting the smallish (37x40 cm) doors I have.

Back