HELP! local metal work assistance !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerbera84

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking for a local metal worker in the Birmingham/West Midlands region who can help me!

I have two lengths of stainless steel tube - 50mm diameter, 150mm length, 3mm walls.

I am attempting to build a grain mill for home brewing and I *think* I need a knurling pattern applied to my tube?!

I'm looking at basically roughening the surface of the tube to grip the grains?

Is there anyone local who can assist?

Ben

thanks for your reply Roger. The problem is that I don't have a lathe, and as far as I understand it, I can't knurl without one?

Unless someone tells me different.....

porker":k2lycmal said:
The OP would also need a lathe which I am assuming he hasn't got.
... seems you're quite right, I just gaily assume everyone has a lathe :)

cerbera84":3fm0l0rl said:
thanks for your reply Roger. The problem is that I don't have a lathe, and as far as I understand it, I can't knurl without one?

Yes that would be a small problem :(

I would gladly do it for you but I'm in Gloucester and that's quite a journey I fear.

RogerP":3f7payby said:
cerbera84":3f7payby said:

Yes that would be a small problem :(

Well I'm in Gloucester and would gladly do it for you but that's quite a journey I fear.

Thanks for your kind offer Roger, it is quite a distance though! Hopefully there is a similarly kind person who is a bit closer!

hi
if you fail to get some kind person locally - i am sure there will be plenty of local engineering firms local - ish to you, who may - for some beer tokens the week before christmas, knurl this for you as it is a pretty quick job to do.
best of luck
paul-c

cerbera84":1fg3u0l4 said:
I am attempting to build a grain mill for home brewing and I *think* I need a knurling pattern applied to my tube?!

Do you have any images (perhaps on line from successful mill makers?) of the sort of texture
you need?

BugBear

There is a type of knurler that works by hand. It looks like one of those tools for cutting copper pipe, but with knurling wheels instead of cutters. I'll see if I can find one online....

paul-c":2cj2zop9 said:
hi
if you fail to get some kind person locally - i am sure there will be plenty of local engineering firms local - ish to you, who may - for some beer tokens the week before christmas, knurl this for you as it is a pretty quick job to do.
best of luck
paul-c

Paul, one engineering firm quoted me five hours work at £45 per hour!! I was under the impression it wouldn't take too long

bugbear":1ipkpmrk said:
cerbera84":1ipkpmrk said:

Do you have any images (perhaps on line from successful mill makers?) of the sort of texture
you need?

BugBear

This was the kind of thing I was after http://g2.img-dpreview.com/8C2F6F74C2B4 ... 852D4D.jpg

DTR":1iiskt1m said:
There is a type of knurler that works by hand. It looks like one of those tools for cutting copper pipe, but with knurling wheels instead of cutters. I'll see if I can find one online....

I have searched and searched for the mythical hand knurler and haven't found one in the UK yet...

I think that Dave is remembering one of these

M121l.jpg

£14.50 + VAT from Chronos http://chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/info_MXm121_.html

I have one and have had good results. You can tighten it down onto opposite sides and you probably could work it slowly by hand.

However, I've only used it on mild steel and brass. Stainless steel is much harder and it might not work. What's more, the OP wants to use tube, of a larger diameter than this sort of tool will adjust to.

Sorry to only offer a negative answer; I hope someone else has a better idea!

That style of knurling tool is meant to be used in a lathe, not hand held. It requires less force to use than a single wheel so suites smaller metal lathes.

Ben have you looked to see if you can find knurled bar stock? Or something else that can be adapted like motorcycle grips? There are lots of people on this side of the pond that are obsessed with customizing their motorcycles so there are lots of Brass and Aluminium knurled grips. Maybe someone makes SS ones.

Pete

cerbera84":3hqqyjw8 said:
bugbear":3hqqyjw8 said:
cerbera84":3hqqyjw8 said:

you need?

BugBear

This was the kind of thing I was after http://g2.img-dpreview.com/8C2F6F74C2B4 ... 852D4D.jpg

Ouch. I'd hate to think of the pressure needed to displace stainless steel to that kind of depth.

I'm not sure knurling can do what you need, even if a lathe and knurling tool became available.

There do seem to be some reasonably priced (bearing
in mind what one-off engineering will cost you) small mills available,
at least on the US market.

http://www.sunsethydro.com/Grain-Mills-Wort-s/1904.htm

BugBear

BugBear

Back