Help in Identification of some wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek S

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, a friend of mine asked me if i could rip him some wood boards from what looked like a 8x6x50in (approx) post, the post was extremely heavy alot heavier than your average post from a timber yard it took 2 of us to lift it into the car he was given it and was told it was probably used to hold back earth kind of what people use old railway sleepers for. The wood was a dark brown in colour with bandsaw marks on the outside and numerous splts/cracks around its outer edge when i had removed the 1st board i was surprised to find a very pretty deep red grain pattern but as to what species it is i am stumped. 2 people have said its a man made product/post which i disagree with. One thing it does have is a smell like vinegar or i personally think it smells like feet. I would appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer. Regards, Derek.

I don't know what it is called but I have used it and it is like cast iron and extremely heavy. This may be a clue but it was supplied as decking boards for a harbour. I suspect something Keroing like from Aus or deepest Africa.

You can see a lot of mineral deposits in the grain so it will take the edge of tools.

Remember the timber for the oven mounts Jacob?

I did a search on http://www.wood-database.com for Massaranduba and it says its used for decking and wood flooring primarily, why is that, as it looks quite a nice wood. One thing I did notice although this could have something to do with the wood I have and not the wood generally is that it seems unstable.

Back