Help!! How to put a logo onto a wooden piece?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ives

Established Member
Reaction score
A potential customer wants to order some things from me and wants his logo on them. He mentioned engraving, but alas, I do not have an engraving machine however much I would love one (been looking at the CO2 laser engravers that start at $8,000 - only a dream!)

Someone suggested a stamp, and I tried a rubber stamp I have with an ink pad (Versacraft), but it looked kind of marbly and if there was too much ink it bled a bit. I wonder if a different ink would work better, maybe Stazon?

The customer has said maybe I could make a stencil and spray paint it on??

I'd need to get the stamp made and it would be cheap compared to the total cost of the order, so not a big deal assuming it came out ok. The wooden pieces are 4" x 2". They will probably be poplar but might be maple.

Any experience or ideas???? I'd love to be able to make this work, it would be a big job and a nice amount of money!

make a branding iron. I admit a bit labour intensive if your only doing one or two but they give a good effect - more crafty and desirable than laser etching.
or, free hand with a hot iron =D>

Sublimation. Get the logo printed with sublimation ink and hot press it on. We have done this on birch ply and admit it is a bit dull as the vibrancy of the ink doesnt quite transfer but that depends on th ecolours used.

Laser transfer paper - print logo on laser transfer paper and hot press it on. Should adhere ok and will give a vibrant appearance, may possibly be less durable than above methods as its a film on the surface

You can iron on laser photo copies. Model makers use this method but I have not done it myself. Must be laser rather than ink jet as it works by heat. A copy shop will have laser machines and you could do it in colour. Several logos on one A4 sheet and Bob is your Uncle...hopefully. May be worth a try. Best wishes.

Just read DTTech...you would need to have them printed initially in mirror image which is easliy done. My suggestion is you only have the ink image on the wood.

Pyrography? Top notch hotwire pyrography machines about £100. I have a Peter Childs one and it (and their customer service) is good.
Or, cheapo soldering iron type pyrography tools cost under £20. Not great, but alright for a one off job.

Or, my preferred logo technique, carving. Not speedy, but very distinctive.

Attachments

• Feles makers mark on garden gates 2.JPG
    Feles makers mark on garden gates 2.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 203
  • Feles mark pyrography.JPG
    Feles mark pyrography.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 203
Thanks for the ideas, I'll google for more detail on the methods. He's ordering 200-300 of them, so it has to be a quick and easy method! I have a Peter Child machine as well, and no way would attempt this logo with it, it's too complicated!

And it's for a business conference so has to look top notch!

The Barnsley Workshops use a simple stamp to "sign and date" each piece, on end grain for preference but on long grain if that's all there is.

Barnsley Stamp.jpg

Attachments

• Barnsley Stamp.jpg
    Barnsley Stamp.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 181
hi there,
Toolpost make a soldering type branding iron, personalized and in several sizes.
regards,
Chris.

Send them out to be laser engraved - Dave Neal is a member of the forum and a great guy to deal with.

Ian

You could try these guys in Sheffield they make a range of stamps and identification products; I have not used them yet but do plan to soon. If you do use them I would love to hear how you get on.
http://www.eyreandbaxter.co.uk/index.html

I am taking the students down to see James Ryan at the Barnsley workshop this week if I get chance I will ask who makes the stamp they use.

Cheers Peter

Back