Help for a newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Littlemantodo

Reaction score
Hi, I'm very new to wood work, made my daughter a small ironing board for her home corner and was very proud, so keeping going whilst I'm on a role, but could do with some advice if I may.

I'm making a hobby horse for my next quick project (the horse's head on a stick that you ride). I'm using pine and was going to glue two 2cm think boards together to make the head, but then need to drill a hole along the join to fit the pole in to. Is this going to split the wood the second I start to drill? Also, what is the best way to drill this? I have seen 23mm drill bits as well as hole cutting bits, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
LMT

If you have a bench and vice put the joined up pie e in the vice to drill it, if not you could clamp two pieces of scrap one either side. A hole saw would make harder work, but a sharp auger wouldn't split your piece. If you have to buy these specially, you could consider putting a housing in both sides before you glue up and squaring the end of the broomstick.
Welcome, btw.

Thanks!
I've seen just a regular drill bit which is the right size, would that work if I took it slow. Yeah, I have a bench and vice clamps, so whatever way I end up trying, I'll have it tightly secured.

If you are using regular drill bits maybe start small and use progressively bigger bits until the desired hole is achieved.
Auger bits from screwfix are sharp and not too pricey. I bought a 25mm one for about 8 pounds from memory...

Littlemantodo":2aorihcd said:
Great input, thanks guys

Don't forget to post up a picture of your finished piece, or even work in progress (WIP) pictures - only if you want to of course.

As above comments, I would use regular drill bits and slowly increase the size of them, reaming out the hole as you go along until you reach the right size.

Auger bits can be vicious on ply woods if they aren't samurai sword sharp!

Welcome to this brilliant forum

Jonny

Whilst you're here then... whilst making the toy for my daughter, one of the problems I had was drilling holes through wood which were perfectly straight. I'm starting my next project now and wondered how am I best doing this?

Littlemantodo":3thbl7ig said:
Whilst you're here then... whilst making the toy for my daughter, one of the problems I had was drilling holes through wood which were perfectly straight. I'm starting my next project now and wondered how am I best doing this?
If you are using a power drill one of these is handy ... they'll reach parts a pillar drill cant :) They're about 15 quid.
500458_xl.jpg

Best way for drilling straight plumb holes is to train your hand and eye. Stand a square up next to your drill and use it as a guide. Do it often enough and you'll start to recognise 'plumb'.

Need your advice on a woodwork issue. If I wanted a 1cm square taking out of a 2cm thick piece of wood, how would I do so? Chisel? - but I'm not sure that's near enough for the finish I want.

A sharp chisel or a morticer, or plunge route it then square the corners, or pillar drill and square corners...it's basically a mortice so any of the mortising options.

Back