Help Dating a Stanley No.4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals

During my mass clear out of the workshop...I came across one of my many old No.4 Stanley planes and decided to look it up and date it.

But I am lost...I can't follow the dating of this one at all....SO...guys...help me out here...

These are the pictures:

DSC_0124.JPG

It has no name on it...Stanley nor Bailey...only No.4 and Stanley Sweetheart logo on the iron...

DSC_0125.JPG

It has the strangest adjustment knob....I have not seen this before...but it looks original....

DSC_0126.JPG

This is it dismantled:

DSC_0127.JPG

The iron may even be the only Stanley bit on it!

DSC_0128.JPG

The frog base is like this:

DSC_0129.JPG

The knob is very elongated "hot air balloon" shape as in the old ones...

DSC_0130.JPG

...details of the frog....

DSC_0131.JPG

Very rudimentary lateral adjuster...and it is bent!!!

DSC_0132.JPG

The only embossing on it is this:

DSC_0133.JPG

No foundry marks...nothing else!

,,,,and the screws are strange too...not the brass ones seen in other Stanleys...but long drum shaped steel ones...

DSC_0134.JPG

the handle mount is very basic...like the old ones before the metal lump and front screw...

DSC_0135.JPG

Most of the Japanning is there but no marks whatever...

DSC_0136.JPG

Well that's it...

I am confused and too ignorant of these to find the right one..

Help me out here guys and gals!

Jim

Jim

Are you sure it's a Stanley? Looks like el-copy to me, with a SW blade popped in.

Cheers

Karl

Think you may be right Jim only the blade is Stanley and it looks to have been painted.
I do have one with a similar lever cap which I assumed was a pattern replacement.

Yeh....the Blood and Gore took a beating in my digging but I couldn't find anything.

It's very old and the strangest thing is...some of the bits are of a higher quality than a Stanley or Record...like the iron adjuster knob. The front knob is lovely but isn't rosewood which is a clue....

The cap iron is much better made but the lateral adjuster is total tat...doesn't work and is bent!

So...it's a copy but a good old one...I think....

But I didn't spot the SW iron until I pulled it apart so that's a bonus!

Jim

The handle looks like a Sargent item its a Bitsa for sure like Tuco's pistol in the GBU

Tom K":vfk7n52u said:
...................like Tuco's pistol in the GBU

:?:

Lost ya there mate.

The Sweetheart iron is a sheer delight to grind and hone....

DSC_0152.JPG

I'm rapidly running out of hairs on my arm...but don'tcha just love that old steel!

Whispers through my test pine....doing a DC floaty shavings job....

DSC_0155.JPG

Teak just sliced up to a perfectly smooth finish with loads of lace as a result...

DSC_0157.JPG

So...one bit of the bitsa...was a superb bit!

More digging going on this afternoon :wink: ...

Jim

Funnily I have almost the exact same pile of bits on my desk ready for cleaning, on mine the No and 4 are right in front of the front handle, see pic (red arrows). My oddity is that the blade says Record on it

stanleyno4.jpg

stanley.jpg

Hi Jim

jimi43":12mixeth said:
You need to be a proper wizard to fettle that one mate!!
I would love to see how you get on....
I think that you may be right, sadly I am not a wizard. But the plane was given to me and I need it for thinning paddle blades so it seems worth a go.

jimi43":12mixeth said:
Post the after shots will ya mate?
I will

Mark

jimi43":pvc06jnq said:

Why? It looks like a reasonable condition #4, all parts present, early enough to be decently made, just needs the rust removing.

BugBear

bugbear":1idmzo4w said:
jimi43":1idmzo4w said:

Why? It looks like a reasonable condition #4, all parts present, early enough to be decently made, just needs the rust removing.

BugBear

I think baggy can warrant a wand after this...I am interested in seeing the result...as you say..it's all there!

They are all worth saving...before the 50s that is..

Jim

Jim,
I'd keep the blade and the lever cap. Try to find something suitable to replace and sell the plane on eBay as a hybrid. As long as it works, and you're honest, I don't see any problem.

I find at least one appeal for reasonably priced tool on the forum.

Regards
John :wink:

Yes John...the blade is now in service replacing my No.4 standard one...

The lever cap is lovely..that will be a spare as you say...

The adjuster knob will find it's way into a similar application...I have no doubt of that...the sole, totes and frog will probably be dumped mate...

Jim

Why split it up?

From the sound of things it works like Tuco's pistol too. (although I swear I saw a record in one of those pics).

Given provenance and performance I'll take performance 365 days a year.

If you need a spare adjuster I've got a bunch of QS bedrock frogs here that are gathering dust. I can soon whip the adjuster off one and pop it in the post to you.

matthewwh":33gw0fi2 said:
Why split it up?

From the sound of things it works like Tuco's pistol too. (although I swear I saw a record in one of those pics).

Given provenance and performance I'll take performance 365 days a year.

If you need a spare adjuster I've got a bunch of QS bedrock frogs here that are gathering dust. I can soon whip the adjuster off one and pop it in the post to you.

AH! Indeed Matthew...you did see a Record...that is my better No.4. I took the Sweetheart iron off the bitsa...put it through the Creusen jig to grind a 25 on it. Honed it on scary sharp and shoved it in the Record.

It fair whizzes along as you can see!

The rest of the bottom drawer find....well that is distributed as above...but I will keep the wheel for adjustment as it is streets ahead of a Stanley/Record one and will come in very useful for a wee project I may be doing...( 8) )

Thanks for the offer of the bedrock adjuster though....I don't need one but it is most kind of you mate.

Jim

Back