Help, chuck keeps dropping down on my mortiser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krisdl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there all, I am pretty new to woodworking machinery, this means I do not know a lot and what I do know probably causes more issue than me not knowing anything at all.

I have this mortiser I purchased for a small sum of money sometime ago and I have just got around to putting it to work, originally I thought I was making some mistake in how I was setting it up but I now I don't think I am. I have made a post on my blog regarding this as it seemed easier to do it there and include pictures, I have tried to find out if I am breaking any rules by posting the link to my post but I cannot see anything about that so here it is.

http://www.woodulove.com/blog/nutool-mortiser-nm-2-2/ I am not trying to get traffic on my blog, it's a personal blog for myself as I have only just started woodworking and I want to keep track of my progress for me and my son who is yet to be born.

I really hope someone can cast some light on this issue as I am at a loss and if it cannot be fixed I just do not have the room for it to just sit collecting dust.

Thanks in advance for anyone who spends any time on this,

Kris

The chuck is fastened to the motor part by a taper perhaps a J6 type

Remove the chuck if you can and clean the hole and clean the short taper sticking out of the motor

Now using a short piece of wood as a drift try and knock the chuck hard onto the taper (open the chuck fully so the jaws disappear into the chuck body)
You are hitting from below where the chisel will mount
Do this a few times.
If it doesnt hold now it needs lapping in with some grinding compound

Ian

Hey there Ian

Awesomely quick reply, I just posted an image on the end of my blog post but I'll try and post it here, I am very sorry but I do not know the names of these things so I am asking as I want to me sure I understand you completely.

Is this a taper?
Mod Edit:-
20130416_162014.jpg

If so I'll have a go at what you have suggested.

Kris

It's hard to tell from your pics but almost for sure your chuck is held on with a taper as no thread is showing.
If this is the case you need to bring the chuck down firmly on to a block of wood to secure it.

Yes thats a J6 taper J for jacobs as opposed to a morse taper
whack the block of wood with a lump hammer a few times to force the 2 together if pressing it on doesnt help

Right I'm gonna be on that first thing thursday, I really appreciate the help guys

Kris

Back