help cheap straightedge 1.4m?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Garnham":3d6lwaid said:
I may not be much help here, but this is just a thought.

You don't actually need the edges to be straight.

They will fit together so long as they are the same shape, be that straight or not
Mike
Mike, you really are losing it here, you've been out too long in the sun in distant climes :lol:...so two boards each with an identical convex curve will edge join together to make a satisfactory joint? I think not :-k - Rob

actually MrGarnham is right (as usual) - in that you can easily joint a pair of boards by cutting both joint surfaces in one pass.

Usually this is done with a router running in a slightly undersized gap between the two boards (although I use the table saw as I hate routers) - this method gives excellent results because any slight wobble during the cut is compensated by a matching wobble in the cut of the second piece

(tablesaw jointing exmple shown here :
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... 04&start=0

To say "so two boards each with an identical convex curve will edge join together to make a satisfactory joint? I think not -( Rob)" misses the point ie. that this is a quick and easy jointing method - it works and it works well. DO we need to argue about the semantics of why it works, or just get the job done ?

regards CAtface.

actually MrGarnham is right (as usual) - in that you can easily joint a pair of boards by cutting both joint surfaces in one pass.

Usually this is done with a router running in a slightly undersized gap between the two boards (although I use the table saw as I hate routers) - this method gives excellent results because any slight wobble during the cut is compensated by a matching wobble in the cut of the second piece

This is what I was trying to say. Your description is a lot better, although I am puzzled by how you hold the boards at the same distance apart when running them through a table saw. You'll probably come back with an embarrisingly easy answer. :wink:

Buggered up my first attempt at quoting. Here's what should have been outside the quote.

"This is what I was trying to say. Your description is a lot better, although I am puzzled by how you hold the boards at the same distance apart when running them through a table saw. You'll probably come back with an embarrisingly easy answer."

I'll stick to the easy way in future.

:D

Rob, Rob, Rob..........

Obviously (at least I thought it was obvious), one edge would be, say, concave, and the other board would be convex. These could be cut using the same guide.

Another way that works perfectly well is to get two boards roughlycut out, and butt them up against each other, clamped in place. Then depending on the quality of the job you are doing you can simply saw along the joint with a handsaw, or, using a straight (or not!) edge run a circular saw or router through the joint.

There's usually a few dozen ways to skin any particular cat...

Mike

Mike Garnham":3g4xusk1 said:
:D

Rob, Rob, Rob..........

Obviously (at least I thought it was obvious), one edge would be, say, concave, and the other board would be convex. These could be cut using the same guide.

Mike

Mike, Mike, Mike - I know what you meant...but look what you writ! - Rob

Back