help.....again!!!! spindle moulder tooling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffinfrance

Established Member
Reaction score
hello all,

sorry all i seem to do is ask for help, but is there someone out there who is an "expert" with the spindle moulder.

i'm about to start tooling mine up and its a minefield of info. i'm recieving all kinds of different advice, some of it conflicting. with the prices of this tooling i just can't afford to make a mistake.

i've just been told that the knives i was about to order with a universal cutter block wont last two minutes in oak. i cant seem to find an authority on different steel possibilities for the knives.

if anyone thinks they could give me a definitive answer and has 10 minutes to spare for a conversation, please let me know.

all the best

jeff

Jeff
the majority of the pre-profiled knives for the Universal cutterheads are made from an "SP" quality knife and wont last long in oak.

there are some companies that sell HSS, but that can vary as well. the most commonly used in woodworking is 18%. that will last better on oak.
I cant find prices for HSS profiles knives but can give a coparison on blanks for profiling:
50x45x4 SP quality @ £3.30
50x45x4 HSS quality @ £7.00
The HSS last considerably longer than HPS but I will not get into how long. that can depend on the material, knots and other unknowns.

If you have a lot of the same profile to do you could have some TCT (tipped) knives made or use a system I have available with a blank carbide knife and steel backing (supporting) plate. the cost of each is pretty similar. the knife and backing plate system should last better as the carbide will be of a harder grade (one which cannot be brazed).

More than happy to talk to you.
you can find me at www.cutting-solutions.co.uk

Back