helmet and face mask

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Wake up and resist.
Reaction score
Will be setting up my lathe again soon. What's most recommended face protection?

Mind you this chap was probably spinning an obviously faulty piece of wood at too high a speed, perhaps just for the video:

I bought the best one I've seen. An optrel clearmaxx visor. £40 something quid.
It is more robust than any other I've seen but not too heavy.

Honeywell bionic like the guy in the video is wearing is also decent but a little less robust.

If you want air fed, the sundstrom sr500 / sr540 are the best bar non for comfort.

The Trend Airshield Pro is very good; albeit a little heavy due to the internal battery. Been cracked full in the face by a chunk coming off the lathe once and, apart from the surprise, all was OK.

If you can stretch to it, the 3M Versaflo is a big step up in comfort. Fortunately yet to be hit in the face by anything whilst using it, but I'd be confident it'll be just as good in terms of protection.

The Trend Airshield Pro is very good; albeit a little heavy due to the internal battery. Been cracked full in the face by a chunk coming off the lathe once and, apart from the surprise, all was OK.

I bought one of those and sent it back within a few days. It's been designed assuming a spherical head and mine isn't. It didn't seal around the face and the (optional-add-on) ear defenders didn't seal against my ears so it was next to useless.

I bought one of those and sent it back within a few days. It's been designed assuming a spherical head and mine isn't. It didn't seal around the face and the (optional-add-on) ear defenders didn't seal against my ears so it was next to useless.
I've never checked the sphericity of my cranium, but I do agree that the clip on ear defenders aren't great. The 3M is much better in that regard.

I can recomend these https://www.safetecdirect.co.uk/pro...cTNWg1o4Zj9iKJHno6mb8YHNymxYOx3BoCR4gQAvD_BwE
I have the Axminster branded vession but they are identical except the badge. I fact I have two as my wife shares the workshop. we both find them comfortable and easy to wear.
One tip, probably with any face shield is to invest in the disposable visor overlays. It is amazing how much gunk builds up over time on the shield (sanding sealer, finish etc.) and with these you just change them over and you can see again.

I’ve been using a bionic for a while. Never had anything hit it yet but it seems pretty good. The frame can be set to rest on the base of your neck/sternum (when you are looking slightly down) which makes it a lot less likely to deform if somet big hits it.
Definitely looking to get a power cap at some point though

I have used the Honeywell Bionic visors for many years and replace them regularly as they only have a two year shelf life. This time round I bought some Bolle Sphere visors because they are high impact rated (EN166-A) rather than the medium impact rating (EN166-B) given to the Bionic visors. The Sphere visors are also cheaper than the Bionic visors.

I can recomend these https://www.safetecdirect.co.uk/pro...cTNWg1o4Zj9iKJHno6mb8YHNymxYOx3BoCR4gQAvD_BwE
I have the Axminster branded vession but they are identical except the badge. I fact I have two as my wife shares the workshop. we both find them comfortable and easy to wear.
One tip, probably with any face shield is to invest in the disposable visor overlays. It is amazing how much gunk builds up over time on the shield (sanding sealer, finish etc.) and with these you just change them over and you can see again.
+1 for JSP

+ for the Versaflo I have one brilliant pice of kit not just for wood turning also

Was lucky to get on eBay brand new never used fairly cheap - more expensive than my graduate lathe - but I got that very cheaply

Will be setting up my lathe again soon. What's most recommended face protection?

Mind you this chap was probably spinning an obviously faulty piece of wood at too high a speed, perhaps just for the video:

The 3M Versaflo is very good. Also very expensive but I got one from eBay, which so far has been very good.

I bought the axminster fan assist full mask 2 years ago and it is excellent easy and comfortable cost about £260. Due to ill health I need to sell it. It is still in box with battery charger. probably do with new detachable face mask. I don't think I can sell it on here so probably put it on e bay. I thought £100 would be fair price? what do you think?

I bought the axminster fan assist full mask 2 years ago and it is excellent easy and comfortable cost about £260. Due to ill health I need to sell it. It is still in box with battery charger. probably do with new detachable face mask. I don't think I can sell it on here so probably put it on e bay. I thought £100 would be fair price? what do you think?
Is this still available please?

Hi. Would you be willing to post unless I can arrange collection. Got a son lives in Hampshire, am happy to pay postage
A

yes of course. give me a day or 3 to package and sort out with post office costs. Can you send your address please, unless you can arrange pick up. My address is
<< deleted by moderator >>
wally

Last edited by a moderator:
postage first class is £6.20 so altogether £106.2. It is in good condition in it;s own strong plastic carry box. see on axminster web site with APF Evolution Axminster, easy clean, with battery and charger. no visor misting with cool fanned air, and changeable filter cartridges, light weight.
If you still interested how you want to pay please? Paypal, bank transfer, if cheque it takes 5 days to clear. Oh yes and your address please
wally

Wally it is dumb to post your information on the open forum. It give rat bags directions to come an take your stuff. Edit out of your post if you still can otherwise get a moderator to do it. Take care of all the questions and transactions via the Start Conversations button when you hover your mouse over their name/avatar.

Pete

MOD EDIT : good advice, thank you Pete, address deleted from the post above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back