Helix Metal Desktop Pencil Sharpener

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shed9

establiSHED member
Reaction score
I kept meaning to buy a half decent pencil sharpener for my workshop due to countless lost sharpeners or simple disappointment. One of the Helix metal desktop ones turned up as a stocking filler. This is hands down the best sharpener I have ever used. Very well made, stuck to the bench, no mess and the finest point I've ever managed to get on a normal graphite pencil.

Small thing I know but one of those items where I wish I'd bought one myself a lot earlier after only a few days of use.

What make/model is it please. I like the sound of one of those for the workshop. Thanks.

I would love one of those! I put up with this triumph of form over function
tempImageS0m74g.jpg

I thought you pro's used those horrible flat carpenter's pencils?
I bought myself a packet of flat pencils with an included sharpener at the builders suppliers a while back.
The sharpener does not in any way, form or fashion sharpen the pencil.
But it does put a nice taper on it, so that it's very easy to finish off with a penknife.

I thought you pro's used those horrible flat carpenter's pencils?

I don't know who uses those things, think they are just made that shape so companies can put their name on and give them away as freebies 😉

I'm strictly a Staedtler Tradition 2H man although I have started keeping one of those Pica things on me, handy for rough marking and write on just about anything.

https://www.pica-marker.com/en/pen/pica-dry

Oh I like that idea. I have recently discovered the importance of sharpening a pencil frequently during my work, to the extent I keep a sharpener in my pocket. Pencils last much less time but my marking out is way more precise, and easier to rub out when mistakes made, due to the finer lines.

Fitz.

Oh I like that idea. I have recently discovered the importance of sharpening a pencil frequently during my work, to the extent I keep a sharpener in my pocket. Pencils last much less time but my marking out is way more precise, and easier to rub out when mistakes made, due to the finer lines.

Fitz.
One thing I noticed with this sharpener is that the point lasts longer and is less brittle than using other sharpeners - if that makes sense? The cutting edge is a rotating helix which creates a uniform cut to the point which effectively means a strong point.

Whilst I like the thought of a bench top mounted sharpener as I tend to use propelling pencils it would be a bit pointless. I tried really fancy ones to start off like this pentel:
Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 22.22.08.png
but these days just use cheapo throw away ones like these :
Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 22.25.59.png

I also recently purchased the helix sharpener shown above, my only disappointment is that the clear window is just that, it's a window only and not a drawer, so removing the shavings when full is a bit faffy. I seem to remember the ones at school had a removable drawer.

I tend to sharpen all my builders pencils in a batch on the bench sander, the rotary sharpeners seem to give them a fragile tip.

I don't know who uses those things, think they are just made that shape so companies can put their name on and give them away as freebies 😉

I'm strictly a Staedtler Tradition 2H man although I have started keeping one of those Pica things on me, handy for rough marking and write on just about anything.

https://www.pica-marker.com/en/pen/pica-dry
Quite impressed by the Pica-dry (I am a sucker for writing implements), but then at £22 it needs to impress.

I have a couple of these:
1609415113057.png

They have 2mm leads, a nifty sharpener in the end button, and if you need to mark through a drilled hole in a batten, you can let the lead out to an inch or so without much fear of breakage.

They last forever and come in at £7. Highly recommended.

Must admit I always found the traditional oval carpenter's pencil a bit pointless. No pun intended.

Must admit I always found the traditional oval carpenter's pencil a bit pointless. No pun intended.
Can someone who actually uses those please tell us what is the reason for them?
In what situation is it useful to have a wide flat lead rather than a point?

For marking waste out before you cut the wrong side of the line!!!
As for a wider line again...
I like the lead sticks you can get from the art shop, which look like a 10mm allen keys, the one I have, they do a good scribble.
They don't seem to wear atall, I've had one for a few years,
and don't mark into the wood compared to a carpenters pencil.
SAM_3802.JPG

Last edited:
apparently the carpenters pencils are not round so they do not roll when placed on an angled surface. I use them when I am doing rough marking out and want a thicker line.

Back