Heating the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karl":1w5qewdq said:
I have a large woodburner which also doubles as coffee maker :)

A fan mounted on the trusses directly above blows the heat around the workshop.

Cheers

Karl

Very nice, wish I had the space for one of those!

Terry.

Surprised noone has mentioned the old-fashioned storage heaters. If you have a night tariff, they are not too expensive to run and quite effective if your shop is well insulated and has some thermal mass (e.g. concrete floor with insulation below it). Not good if your main work time is evenings, but the OP did say early morning when the stored heat is maximal.

I use a portable liquid gas (like paraffin) heater a bit like this.

ecom-sre228tc-3kw-12000btu-portable-paraffin-heater-3263-p.gif

It has a fan, so you get instant warmth, but costs far less than electric. (you do have to plug it in for the timer, and starter etc)

I've never worried about the flame and dust, as it really would take a lot of dust in there, airborn, all at once, and the fan is pushing all the air the other way.

I particularly like that you can put it on a "chill" mode, and it just keeps the temp up a bit, and you can take out the fuel cannister, and refill, whilst it's still running.

I can get my 64 sqm shop from 2 deg to 16 deg in about 20 minutes, and I go through about £90 fuel in the winter.

However one is supposed to ventilate by opening a door for a minute every hour or so.

Radiator would take way too long, and I think they're more expensive to run... not 100% sure but it used to be the case.

I text one of the lads who has been a fire fighter for the last 10 years about this a while ago.

His response was, "I wouldn't recommend using them (gas heater) to be honest because the naked heater bars and the sparker for the gas would be a sufficient enough ignition source for the wood dust. And the fact they give off carbon monoxide too is another thing. I'd go with an electric heater, much safer."

I have 3 mates round in my shop for social visits, and to use my tools, who are firemen, and not said anything. I think the risk of igniting dust in normal air is zero, the naked flame from a wood burning stove is more than that from a gas one.

On the other hand, the carbon monoxide is not idea I'll agree, I do have to open a window for 5 minutes every hour. However with an electric fire, would take all day to heat my draught free, but not really insulated workshop.

I bought one of these last year from ScrewY̶o̶u̶Fix for 70 quid and it's superb.

They are on 'clearance' for £30.74 now.

ae235

NazNomad":1x8r6nyy said:
I bought one of these last year from ScrewY̶o̶u̶Fix for 70 quid and it's superb.

They are on 'clearance' for £30.74 now.

ae235

looks good reviews
grab it quick though as clearance stock

Steve

Karl":8ouiemmn said:
I have a large woodburner which also doubles as coffee maker :)

A fan mounted on the trusses directly above blows the heat around the workshop.

Cheers

Karl
This is definitely my ideal solution but until I build a new workshop not feasible! [DISAPPOINTED FACE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had tube heaters on timers in the cupboards to keep everything dry and frost free, but they burnt out after a couple of years.
Replaced them with small oil filled radiators and they seem better.

For main heating in the winter I've got a pot bellied stove, and a couple of fan heaters if a bit extra is needed.

I've used a Dimplex oil rad. on a plug in timer for several years, my 5mt by 4 mt shed always been comfortable, although it is only insulated in the roof. I had a cheapie halogen before that good, but not as robust and I prefer the oil rad. because there's less to worry about fire wise

My ideal is a greenhouse fan heater (with thermostat ) to keep the chill off. I also have a MM barrel Wood stove in the corner.
The fan heater can be put on high heat for quick heat.

Glad I read this thread,seeing the screwfix heater bargain thought I would give it a go. Pick it up tomorrow, maybe able to take a few layers of clothes off in the garage now.

Back