Heads up.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got two warnings, the first in English and the second a few minutes later in Welsh. I am in England but can see Wales in the distance.

I did not manage to panic :)

Lets hope it works better than the infamous covid track and trace. This could be one massive advantage for all those without a smart phone, we will be vapourised with a smile on our face whilst all the others will have a look of horror as they know whats coming !

My wife went to Wales to see our daughter. The Welsh version of the alert she received two hours ago and then the English version one hour ago when she came back over the Severn Bridge.

Florida tested the State phone alert last week, and have since apologised to many million residents. 4.45, but a bit of a mix up about am and pm. :).

3 android phones here, all on same network. One came early, about 8 minutes between first and last. So if it was an incoming ICBM, one of us would have known we would be vapourised, it would have come as a nasty surprise to the others.

Last edited:
I was quite impressed by my phone. Was on silent and didn't make a peep, just the on screen message next time I truned the screen on. Then when I unlock it a dialog comes up "You're currently subscribed to emergency alerts. Do you want to continue receiving them?" Clearly whoever makes Nokia branded phones these days knows people can be annoyed by them.

Yep. Media and SM has been going about it for months. What happens if your phone is off, out of area or emergency alert in settings is disabled, phone on silent, can you still use the phone if you don’t respond to the alert etc, etc.
What if...?

I was pottering away in the shed after having to fix a leak in the roof,(15 year old felt, time for a re roof). Never remembered about it and never heard it despite my phone lying on the bench next to where I was working. Only noticed it at around 5pm when I opened phone to read a message that came through from the wife to tell me food was ready...🤣🤣🤣 call that a success then shall we...

I think you had to be connected to the mobile network via a 4G or 5G connection to receive the warning and our experience supports this - my wife and I were on 3G and got nothing, my son on 4G got the warning.
I’m sure I saw somewhere that older phones aren’t able to receive these warnings either.

I think you had to be connected to the mobile network via a 4G or 5G connection to receive the warning and our experience supports this - my wife and I were on 3G and got nothing, my son on 4G got the warning.
I’m sure I saw somewhere that older phones aren’t able to receive these warnings either.
Interesting. Do you know 3G network is being switched off, some as early as 2023.
Here is a link to which.co.u, if you need more info.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/mob...switch-off-what-you-need-to-know-a28ou1e1RXJA

We are 4G here and one 18-month-old phone one eight-month-old phone. Still no alert. My dentist and assistant just told me they didn't get it in their households either.

No reliable signal or any sort of 'G' here, so nowt happened...................

A bit of a fizzle-out on the TV-snooker as odd phones went off here and there.

We are 4G here and one 18-month-old phone one eight-month-old phone. Still no alert. My dentist and assistant just told me they didn't get it in their households either.
Looks like there are reports of issues on some networks of the alert not getting through even to newer handsets connected by 4/5G.
I guess this was the purpose of the of the test.

"I have not failed. I have found 10,000 ways that don't work." ― Thomas Edison

One can only hope they do better next time!

Latest posts

Back