Head Stock Adapter for Parkside Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lorna
I can certainly make you an adapter
your insert is 18mm x 1.5mm for a parkside lathe
when you outgrow that lathe the record chucks can take almost all lathe sizes up to m33 x 3,5mm

Good Morning,

I am another person that bought a parkside lathe with a view to having a go at pen turning.
I think in order to use a pen mandrel I might require an adapter?

If anyone can point me at one I would be very much appreciative. @flh801978 reading the thread you appear to be the person in the know :)
Please could you give me a price to make one if there are no recommendations?
I am just outside Manchester if there are any shops etc. :)

Thank you

GM

Good Morning,

I am another person that bought a parkside lathe with a view to having a go at pen turning.
I think in order to use a pen mandrel I might require an adapter?

If anyone can point me at one I would be very much appreciative. @flh801978 reading the thread you appear to be the person in the know :)
Please could you give me a price to make one if there are no recommendations?
I am just outside Manchester if there are any shops etc. :)

Thank you

GM
Hi,
Although a mandrel makes life easier, it is not essential and many (including me) started out turning pens etc between centres.
Your biggest issue will be that pen mandrels are designed to fit into a morse taper hole in the headstock spindle. Alternatives might exist but I have never seen one, maybe others can advise.
Also, I think another problem, is that the mandrel is adjustable for length, with the unused portion sliding into the void in a hollow headstock or tailstock. Perhaps you can confirm but I don’t think this possible on the Parkside lathe as it has solid spindles both ends.

I guess if you really want to go down this route, you’ll need to get an adapter made to hold a length of threaded bar of the appropriate diameter and use a nut to adjust the length. This should be relatively simple for someone with an engineering lathe and appropriate taps.
I think the mandrels are usually 1/4” in diameter but I can measure mine if you need me to.

Many thanks for the replies.
I'll keep digging for options or I will devise something with threaded rod which I think I have some spares of.

GM

Many thanks for the replies.
I'll keep digging for options or I will devise something with threaded rod which I think I have some spares of.

GM
Just as an update I found an adapter on eBay which was M18 x 1.5 to 1" 8 tpi which seems to fit.
I'm not sure if eBay links are allowed but it did come up in a search for parkside lathe.

I look next for a chuck 😄

Thanks

GM

I do make a mandrill for the parkside lathe with either a 6mm or 1/4 spindle its a threaded part that screws to the lathes spindle and a hole to suit your chosen mandrill size and nuts and a Centre hole in the end
Ian

I do make a mandrill for the parkside lathe with either a 6mm or 1/4 spindle its a threaded part that screws to the lathes spindle and a hole to suit your chosen mandrill size and nuts and a Centre hole in the end
Ian
That's a shame, I would have thrown some money your way. I managed to find one on Amazon. It has been delivered and fits with my adapter.
I have managed to turn a pen with some scrap wood I had, it's far from perfect but since I have never used a lathe before and only watched a couple of videos I am chuffed with it.

I'm sure practice makes perfect so I will continue to use scrap wood.

Thank you for all your replies! Really appreciate it.

Back