Head Stock Adapter for Parkside Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iain.mccarron

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I received a Parkside Lathe a few weeks ago as a gift. I have been making rings (from veneers and pre-purchased ring cores), on a very small very cheap min-lathe (the ones that are just bigger than a phone) so the Parkside was supposed to help make things easier for me. I am sure you know where this is going, i cannot for love nor money find any chuck that will fit. I found an adapter on Thingverse (Lathe Adapter M18x1.5 Inside to M18x2.5 Outside thread by DarkDaedelus) which i was going to get machined, but before i did that i wanted to ask some more knowledgeable people if this was the best way to do it. I did see somebody mention getting a new spindle made, i wondered if that might be a better option.

I did see another thread about this issue which i tried posting in. However, as that thread is five years old, i hoped it would be okay to ask again in case their has been any changes since then.

A custom thread adapter is a fairly easy task for someone with a metal lathe, do you know the thread you have is definitely M18 x 1.5? I would get an adapter from that to a popular woodturning thread like 3/4" 16tpi or 1" 8tpi.

Also if you make an adapter to a bigger thread, you do not need such an overhang as the smaller thread will fit inside the larger thread.

I did a bit of research on the lathe (after i had received it and couldn't find anything), and the only thing i saw that would work was the adapter on Thingverse which was a M18x1.5 inside to M18x2.5 adapter so i was going based on that.
I am not sure how i could check the thread myself at home, and have been looking for somewhere i could send the spindle away to so that i could have an adapter made (with no joy so far).

But the adapter to the adapter as a "sleeve" rather than an extender does sound like a better idea.

I would suggest you kindly ask flh801978 to make you an adapter from M18 1.5 to 1" 8TPI, If you take a picture of a ruler close up against the threads, and then also measure the outer diameter, we can work out whether your spindle really is M18 1.5 pitch.

1" 8tpi will give you a wide choice of chucks, faceplates etc for woodturning, and in future if you upgrade your lathe there are many on the market with that spindle thread.

Can you take out the spindle? And then post it to me ...then i can advise what’s best. I can weld up and cut a new thread to suit any chuck you want. Or i can make an adapter remotely but for that i need a good set of measurements from you on thread dia and length and the register dia and length.
I could make you an adapter for record sc4 chucks which are reasonably cheap and always saleable if you lose interest and adapters commonly available for almost any lathe smaller that 1.3/8ths or 33 mm. except yours unfortunately

Just tried to take out the spindle and i could not get it out at all. Is it possible to send you the headstock or faceplate that came with the lathe to work out the thread from that? If not, i'll go back and try and work something else out

Apologies for the extra inconvenience.

All done for Iain
This adapter is for a sc4 or sc1 chuck
3CA65E6A-FD4F-44E4-A759-B87F305DDB30.jpeg
88E4547B-28D5-4D59-8117-F7C1CB21A7C8.jpeg

@flh801978 Sorry I don't seem to have the option to PM you. I was looking to get exactly the same as you made for Iain there for the Parkside lathe to sc4 or sc1 chuck.

it is 3 messages for the PM system, so you are nearly there. it may need to update overnight before you get access.

I have been looking for an adapter to use on my Wadkin RS outboard end, its 1 1/2 BSW x 6 TPI , the trouble is of course is its a left hand thread. I need it to go to m33 x 3.5 TPI....

flh801978 that thread adaptor is just what I could do with. As I also have a parkside lathe. Do you think you could make me one . I would like the thread it goes up to to be 1" x 8 tpi.

Back