HDMI cable from pc to tv problem! (or not!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastminute

Established Member
Reaction score
I enjoy watching some of the many wonderful woodworking videos on my tv (courtesy of the tube) via a HDMI cable from my pc.
My pc is sited about 12 feet from my tv...connected with a 5 metre hdmi cable.
For some reason the picture (which is good) shows darker than the pc, which is annoying as the pc picture is fantastic!
Both tv and pc are HD.
Have tried altering the settings in the tv, but no joy.
Could it be the cheap HDMI cable I'm using..
Is it true that the quality of the cable makes no difference as the signals are digital!!

Any advice much appreciated.

Gerry

lastminute":3qjw40wz said:
Could it be the cheap HDMI cable I'm using..
Gerry

can you hear that can of worms being popped open :twisted:

Possible but doubtful.
I would say it is simply down to the different picture processing in the two devices, (the tv and the pc).
The pc graphics card is probably configured to 'match' the best settings for its monitor which are probably different from the tv screen. you may be able to adjust the settings on the pc graphics card to better match the telly?

I doubt its the HDMI cable, if it was showing a broken picture or know picture then it would be that, but not different colours.

Is the TV naturally dark when watching live TV?

Also TV's are not monitors, my TV gives a crappy picture when connected to my computer!

John

Thought i replied to this.

As said it will be down to the differences in the monitors. As a photographer i see this all the time. You can put 2 of the same make model monitors next to each other and view the same pic. Yet both will give different results. Even if both monitors are colour profiled using soft/hardware they will still not show the same results.

Next time you go to a supermarket with a tv section, you will see the big difference between tv's as well as the different brands.

would an upgrade to the graphics card be beneficial? I too watch you tube on the tv and some of the pictures are dismal.

Gary

Surprised you can't get much change by adjusting the colour settings on the Tv. Most graphics cards do have the option of calibrating the output to match a specific monitor, I would assume this work via HDMI but am not 100% sure.
If you open the display properties you should find a 'colour management' tab where you can specify a colour mapping file (.icm). you may be able to find one for you particular monitor on Google or you could find some colour calibration software that will help you create you own file, I'm sure there are some freeware options available for this.
Also check your video driver software, mine seems to have calibration function available which detect which monitor is connected (this probably creates the .ica file you)

Back