Has there been a gory accident thread yet?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the early nylon props before your time Colin?
They were swines, and yes, I do have the scar to prove it! :lol:

Roy.

Can't feel anything at my thumb tip - it's incredible how when you have lost the ability to do something you realise how significant that is....

Pete Howlett":1ht5ycv2 said:
Can't feel anything at my thumb tip - it's incredible how when you have lost the ability to do something you realise how significant that is....

That'll teach you to be a cissy, maybe.

Harsh but true - I hate the bench saw because it is the only tool I have ever had an accident with. Now I know it's the joiners' friend but in my 35 years woodworking I have never been able to get on with it - so yes, I guess I am a cissy :wink:

Pete Howlett":1siokmdv said:
My right thumb is 3mm shorter than my left

It doesn't seem to hinder your thumb picking when playing the blues on your guitar, Pete.

:roll:

Rod

ps. Folks.... Pete plays a mean blues on the guitar.... and on the ukulele too!

It was mostly tongue in cheek - should've added one of these maybe :p but I've never really been one to spell things out with smileys.

I'm not offended at all Jake - you are right though: I am a total cissy when it comes to the table saw. They frighten the life out of me still after all the years. I can't get the crown guard close enough to the wood when I use one, so when I see these guys without it I break out in a sweat! There is a great youtube video of a Japanese woodblock maker who has half the fingers on his feed hand off and he still uses his machine unguarded :eek:

Digit":2slcjir0 said:
Are the early nylon props before your time Colin?
They were swines, and yes, I do have the scar to prove it! :lol:
Roy.

Yup, got some cuts from nylon and wood props. They can't take the high rpm of some competition models.. Try this for size.. Turn the sound on first!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Z0pCVINX0

It's too fast to really see in the air but you sure can hear it go...

There's a lot of talk about nasty accidents from machines, but don't forget hand tools.
I did this...
2949378418_b501bc00de_m.jpg

with one of these...

2948525403_b89f0fb2c9_m.jpg

It didn't half hurt, was cutting some scribed mitres on a moulding when the damn thing slipped and cut my finger to the bone :shock: Funny thing was I took the time to photograph it before giving myself 1st aid :p

DangerousDave":14r4xyv7 said:
It didn't half hurt, was cutting some scribed mitres on a moulding when the damn thing slipped and cut my finger to the bone :shock: Funny thing was I took the time to photograph it before giving myself 1st aid :p

Is that how you got your name then? :lol: Photograph it! WOW! nerves of steel. I would have been on the floor well before that. :roll:

I'll confirm the "time to repair tendons" thing as I cut the tendon in the base of my thumb while pruning apple tree many years ago. The difficulty was finding the cut ends - they disappear up into the thumb and forearm and surgeons have to probe around to get them.
But the repair is supposed to be as strong as the original, and mine has survived 35 years. Just missing the feeling in the palm of my hand, and got trauma-induced Dupuytrens contraction of the little finger in the same hand. So before you cut fingers etc., check out your family tree for susceptibility to Dupuytrens. :(

mailee":o06lbzp6 said:
Is that how you got your name then? :lol: Photograph it! WOW! nerves of steel. I would have been on the floor well before that. :roll:

I was thinking of all you chaps, I knew you'd all appreciate a pic :D TBH it looks worse than it was. Wife's a paramedic and when I showed it to her she called me a right clumsy dufus and told me to stick a band aid on it :shock: I was actually quite lucky, I was a few mil away from severing the tendon thats on the top :sick:

i'm lucky, iv had my pratice acicdents with hand tools :shock: hack sawed past my left thumb nail :? and quiet a few times just "nicked" hand saw. i respect my ts and ras. i do dabble in the art of segmented turning :D , and i dont mean small stuff 20"X6" lumps , was the biggest the school lathe could take, my teacher sh*t himself when he turned the lathe on when it was first mounted,i was not allowed to rough it out myself :( , it was the first time i saw him wear safety glasses :p

I remember back in the sixties two of the old 'hands' who had never had a machine problem before finished up with real bad un's . The first was the gaffer when he run his right hand accross the spindle moulder block ripping it to shreds , hand , not the block . The other old fella completely lost his left hand on the big wadkin chain morticer when it caught the sleeve of his jacket . clean off at the wrist . That was two old boys coming up for retirement too . How's that for experience ???

You know those hammer-staplers? The ones where you whack the carpet underlay with a hammer like thing and it buries a staple.......well, I was stapling up a vapour barrier one day, and had to hold it in place whilst hammering staples in.........

I should have known it would hurt if I whacked my finger with this thing. Never mind the big chunk of flesh that the tool took straight out of my finger......it was hunting around for a pair of pliers to pull the staple out of the bone that started to get me a bit annoyed!
-
-
-
-
My dad employed someone as a guillotine operator in an aluminium manufacturing factory, and this chap had used the same machine for over 20 years with no problem. Then one day they had a royal visitor, and this machinist must have lost his presence of mind because he managed to chop all of his fingers off right where they joined the hand.

In those days, there was no chance of sewing the fingers back on, but they did a pioneering operation by slitting down into his hands and making the bones in his hands into mini-fingers. Very clever, and it worked.

The chap begged dad for his job back, and dad found him something to do in the factory. But the chap wasn't happy, and pestered away for years to get back on his old machine. Finally, years later, Dad relented and put him back on the guillotine......and within a week he had chopped his new digits clean off!

Mike

Latest posts

Back