Has the forum been hacked ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it, but then again I have always liked green :? :?

It's a darned sight better than one of the Mac forums I'm on. A few daze bafore Christmas we were told that they would be closing the forum on the 31st Dec! It's still running though so I assume that as they didn't specify which December it was it could be the next one ? :shock:

I have noticed that in some of the replies there is double spacing between the lines and single in others? Quite odd really?

Photos?

https://flic.kr/p/VCyhWL

Absolutely no idea?

Edit? The 4 likkle boxes at the top of the post, just click on the left hand one and select edit from the drop down box. Good 'ere init :mrgreen: Shame about the photos though. I tried both the 'img' & the 'url' tags and no photo posted.. Any ideas please. I was using Flickr to try.. and it worked before.

Well all I would say is that in my humble opinion the days when people would boot up their pc just to veiw forums such as this are long gone. I have a pc in the spare bedroom that I seldom use and would not bother going up there just to veiw this site.
The changes that have been made are a massive improvement for what I suspect is a growing number of people who want to casually surf the internet for interesting content whenever they have a free moment wherever they are.
Hopefully these changes will bring in a lot of new members who otherwise would not have bothered to join.

Jonzjob":i9ox15sb said:

It's a darned sight better than one of the Mac forums I'm on. A few daze bafore Christmas we were told that they would be closing the forum on the 31st Dec! It's still running though so I assume that as they didn't specify which December it was it could be the next one ? :shock:

I have noticed that in some of the replies there is double spacing between the lines and single in others? Quite odd really?

Photos?

https://flic.kr/p/VCyhWL

Absolutely no idea?

Edit? The 4 likkle boxes at the top of the post, just click on the left hand one and select edit from the drop down box. Good 'ere init :mrgreen: Shame about the photos though. I tried both the 'img' & the 'url' tags and no photo posted.. Any ideas please. I was using Flickr to try.. and it worked before.

Yes, for some reason pic from Flickr not showing. I shall pass it up the food chain to see if there are issues.

I loathe and detest it as I've already posted . I hate this 'modern look' which has infected far too many forums . Too many basic design errors to begin discussing.

As the dolphins said ...

"So long and thanks for all the fish".

Jonzjob":1pk0jhgl said:

That's got me confused... here's what I see:

XkdpQCP.jpg

RogerS":3e417tv6 said:
I loathe and detest it as I've already posted . I hate this 'modern look' which has infected far too many forums . Too many basic design errors to begin discussing.

As the dolphins said ...

Well I for one think it's a shame if you really do go RogerS. Like many, I HATE change (I'm probably worse than most in that respect!) but to me this Forum has so much value as interest, enjoyment, not to mention LEARNING that I think it's a shame if anyone leaves - especially someone who talks sense "now and then" :D !

Won't you do what I think a lot of us are doing, and stick around, try a bit of "I wonder was this silly little button does?" and again like many of us I suspect, at least learn to live with it (and then, after a while, not even notice the changes any more, just reading it for the content, like we did before)?

I DO understand and sympathise with your frustration though. But if you read I think it was Charly's explanatory post elsewhere, some change was forced on them because the bloody software providers stopped supporting the software! AND, you must admit, not everything in the old garden was all lovely was it? How about the number of posts arising on the topic of "How in hell do I post pix on this Forum?".

Suggest you sleep on it mate.

No offence intended.

AES

The old format ain't coming back so we will all have to get used to it , nothing stay's the same forever. My only complaint is why the big space between the paragraphs and all the white space is annoying!
Other than that all is OK for me.

I like it. Much easier to read on an iPad, vastly better on a phone - though like many I mostly use tapatalk there.

Here’s a fun exercise for all those whining about these changes; imagine if Charly, in anticipation of all this whingeing and moaning, simply shut it down and moved it to a Facebook group? Bet that ‘new look’ doesn’t seem so bad now, does it??

And for the love of God, everybody do the forum a favour; instead of bleating about the space the ads take up, interact with them occasionally - you know, actually click on one now and then, see where it takes you. It’s the only way sites like these get any funding.

P

RogerS":35j4qyok said:

As the dolphins said ...

Has the Forum been hacked?
Yes by grumpy old men

The new format is perfect for mobile use

I like the new look, the old one was looking dated. It is good to keep things fresh and you do have to move with the times. I think it will bring in new members and in a couple of weeks it will seem normal to existing members.

Doug

powertools":qgl25a85 said:
Well all I would say is that in my humble opinion the days when people would boot up their pc just to veiw forums such as this are long gone.......

Judging by when people post, I'd guess that an awful lot are reading the forum on PCs at work. That's certainly the case for me.

At the moment, I rather dislike the changes. I'll see how I feel about it in a few weeks once I am more familiar with it. It's a bit annoying to have to go back to an index page to get "new posts", rather than have the button available at the top of every page. Oh, and Adblock + is fully operational, and I won't even consider altering its settings given how little of the screen is now given over to space for postings.

MikeG.":2bockfs8 said:
<snip> It's a bit annoying to have to go back to an index page to get "new posts", rather than have the button available at the top of every page. <snip>.

You dont need to go back to an index page.
Click [Forums] on the menu bar, in the drop down list click <view unread posts>
The menu bar is available on every page - admittedly thats two clicks rather than one, but the same drop down menu also gives you the option to get to your posts, unanswered posts, new posts, active/popular posts etc.

I haven't been a member here for very long so my opinion may not count for much.

I understand the need for change and I'm comfortable with that and I also don't have any issue with the function or layout of the new site. I'll get used to it eventually, probably sooner rather than later.

My first impression of the changes was that it is very light and lacking in contrast. I realised that my laptop screen settings were at 100% brightness so I knocked that back to 75% to try and compensate but it is still glaringly bright. I can't reduce that anymore as it affects the viewing quality of other websites.

So, my only suggestion is that it could do with being a bit easier on the eyes. White on pale blue is uncomfortable.

Steve

Many thanks for all the hard work by those that have created the new site look :D

When I first logged on and saw the new layout for the first time, I couldnt understand what was going on, panic set in, I started hyperventilating........, Im now in recovery,the tablets have calmed me down a bit and I hope to be out of hospital soon :lol:

Some forum monitise the site by offering a voluntary subscription, a low level option for frequent users to pay a few pounds a year as way to say thanks and a higher level option for, if you professional users that both contribute with technical knowledge but also can promote their products.

This site is by far the largest UK forum for woodworking, probably 10 times the size of other sites so I hope it continues to develop and succeed.

Its a shame the site doesnt encompass professional sections for those of us in the industry, it would be great to have a resource like Woodweb for the UK.

powertools":2dt0gtkd said:
Well all I would say is that in my humble opinion the days when people would boot up their pc just to veiw forums such as this are long gone. I have a pc in the spare bedroom that I seldom use and would not bother going up there just to veiw this site.
The changes that have been made are a massive improvement for what I suspect is a growing number of people who want to casually surf the internet for interesting content whenever they have a free moment wherever they are.
Hopefully these changes will bring in a lot of new members who otherwise would not have bothered to join.

In my humble opinion, you're wrong. My browsing for instance is 90% on a pc, occasionally on tablet and my phone is just that - a phone.

My dislike of this type of forum layout is partly down to cost. Using mobile internet for around 8 months p.a. I'm having to pay to download advert and video content I don't want. Fortunately, adblock works to remove some.

Another forum I use daily has viewing options to cater for those using pcs or tablet & phones, just click which format you want. Any chance of that here? I think the new style is **cking awful.

I must be one of a dissapearing group that actually uses a camera to take ohitis, a phone to make phone calls and a computer to look at the internet.

As for staring into a tiny screen to anything but put a phone number in?

As I have said before the forum looks OK to me on Firefox, so no complaints from me. If it did finish up going over to Farsebuck or any of the like then it would loose this user as I would not touch it with a very long pole!

Jonzjob wrote,
: I must be one of a dissapearing group that actually uses a camera to take ohitis, a phone to make phone calls and a computer to look at the internet.

As for staring into a tiny screen to anything but put a phone number in?

Yup "JJ", there's at least the 2 of us still alive in this world. Phones are for phoning, cameras are for picture taking, and POCs are for loking at For a like this. "Old fashioned" moi? Yup, and (mostly) revelling in it :D :D

AES

powertools":1o0lcthw said:
I normally look at the forum on my phone and this is a massive improvement.
I think this is an indication of why so many forums have changed to this sort of layout. I didn't like it when I first saw it, but so many forums (fora?) have gone this way now, that I fear we're just going to have to get used to it.

andys wood shed":moifn1lh said:
RogerS":moifn1lh said:

As the dolphins said ...

Has the Forum been hacked?
Yes by grumpy old men

The new format is perfect for mobile use

Which of course is meaningless to those of us who don't view it on a mobile. :D

Back