Has anyone manufactured their own French Doors?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryharris

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone had made a set of French doors and if so could advise if it is a difficult project and what machinery Im likely to need? Thanks for any help offered

It's not something I've done myself but, apart from the obvious (access to planer/thicknesser and circular saw/bandsaw for dimensioning), a router table is a real must-have item here, if you don't have access to a spindle moulder. If you're talking about 35-40mm-thick doors though, the cutter sets themselves can be quite expensive.

I'd say, only do it if your design and specifications differ greatly from what you can buy off the shelf.

No different to any other door, except twice as much work!
Actually the only difference is the labyrinth on the mating faces.

Roy.

Hi harryharris,

This is a really good question. One of the reasons that Im setting up my present workshop is to be able to make windows, french doors, doors etc. Its impossible to find the right profiles, quality etc in Sweden. At least for a reasonable price. So instead of buying this for some 20'000 £ I spend it on tools and machines.
But still its no childs play doing these things. It would be very nice to get examples of solutions, techniques etc.

I will post any progress worth mentioning on the subject and hope that other will do the same!

take care and good luck,

Daniel

Back