has anyone had any experience of using these?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been cruising the web again and found an instructable that uses something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-way-Macro-S ... 0920675110 to build a precision drill stand for drilling PCBs.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-p ... /?ALLSTEPS

I'm wondering if they can be adapted for other uses? It seems to be a popular instructable and if they're drilling PCBs with it they need it to be accurate, I wonder how practical it would be for using in other situations?

It looks like they could be used to move fences and jigs very accurately, adding your own imperial/metric sliding scales seems easy enough and they're already slotted to take bolts for attaching cameras so attaching to fences etc. should be a breeze.

I did wonder whether the rack and pinion would be man enough to move a fence, I have no idea on the weight of fences but I do know that a camera without a lens is about 500g, so they should be able to cope with 750g probably more with the hotshoe for flashes on there too.

I wonder if a stacked pair of the smaller versions could be modified to make a box joint jig? Or perhaps a pair could be useful for a small diy x/y milling table? they could be added to the back of a fence for micro adjustment, or added to back the infeed or outfeed side of a fence to accurately offset for jointing.

All of them have a 1/4" thread to attach to tripods, so they're made to be attached to things, they also do longer versions up to 250mm I think, I noticed that all of the scales are metric, which is a shame but it seems it would be easy enough to add your own.

Let me know if you have any ideas for these things or any experience of them.

I saw that but it locks you to 1/32" increments, so if you've got a slightly offsize bit then you've got no adjustment for box joint fit. might as well spring the extra money for the original incra jig.

Latest posts

Back