Has anyone ever seen this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I was talking to someone the other day who does a lot of work making floats for a carnival each year.
He told me that last year he met someone who does the same and uses a lot of faced boards.

He said that the other person was using an edging applicator similar to those used for applying parcel tape, but it used edging tape and had a built in heater and trimmed the edges as the material was applied.

Has anyone ever seen this type of unit, or was he dreaming :roll:

Thanks Jason.

I think I will stick with the iron for appying the edges, but I have not had too much success with trimming so I'll definately get the trimming set.

Thanks again.

Try trimming with the edge of a cabinet scraper, comes off clean as a whistle.

Or the edge of a chisel .....

I seem to have lost Tonto again :lol:

Or a Stanley glass scraper - the cheap yellow ones which use Stanley knife blades. Always have one in my travelling toolkit

Scrit

When I was in the 6th Form in the 60's I had a summer job in the Jig and Prototype shop of David Meridew, furniture makers, in Letchworth. There I learnt that ordinary veneer could be ironed on with cascamite (Urea Formaldehyde I think). The trick was to keep the iron moving slowly and use brown parcel wrapping paper to stop the veneer scorching.

But this is not the reason for the post. It was the trimming of the veneer that has really stuck with me over the years. The guys in the shop arranged the panel upright with the new edge at the top. They then wrapped some 80 grit paper around a wooden block, just big enough to palm, and struck down fast and firmly against the edge of the board at an angle of 70/80 degrees to the vertical. They moved quickly along the edge beating down as they went. The results were good enough for catalogue photography so must have been pretty good.

I have since tried it myself on many occasions and good results are always had so long as enough glue is used under the iron. It foams out as it sets and you can see the cure happening as you iron along.

Angela

(A happy Christmas to all my readers ... as they say)

Back