has anybody used augers in a lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joekid

Established Member
Reaction score
hello im after drilling out fishing rod handle . i want to replace the old cork with a nice turned piece of walnut or maple, but dont know where to start, ive heard i can use the lathe and auger bits but may need to buy an adapter , this isnt a problem because once ive done one i think il be doing a few,the problem is finding some one who has the knowledge , the inside diameter of my tail stock is 5/16 any advice would be welcomed ,thanks

I believe there is a problem with auger bits as they have lead screws and pull the bit into the work, I would suggest foster bits or filing the screw threads off to a point

I think the "adaptor" you mentioned needing to buy would be a hollow tailstock centre. The "auger" is not the same as that used in a power drill, but is a special type for long hole boring. I've never done it myself, but my understanding is that you turn the piece between centres, then through the hollow of the tailstock and the tailstock centre, you feed in the auger, withdrawing often to clear the buildup of shavings.

Stiles & Bates have illustrations and a description on their website and would probably be happy to give you any additional advice that you may need.

Cheers,

Neil

Just a word of caution Joe... do some experiments on scrap timber, augers (and drill bits for that matter) can wander 'off line'...

When trying to drill out a pipe chanter I had 3 goes before I managed drill from end to end... the others broke through the side :shock: (it wasn't down to skill.... I just used a bigger blank :wink: )

The long hole boring kits will work fine in wood like Maple and Walnut, just take it easy and clear the chips very frequently. It's a slow process. The process is detailed on the Record Power website:
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.pl?s=knowledge&dc=16&dp=56
Professional makers of woodwind instruments use what is known as a gun drill and compressed air but this is an expensive option.

You can then enlarge the hole (if required) by using spade bits ground to a pointed V shape.

oldsoke":1ah5vrll said:
Just a word of caution Joe... do some experiments on scrap timber, augers (and drill bits for that matter) can wander 'off line'...

When trying to drill out a pipe chanter I had 3 goes before I managed drill from end to end... the others broke through the side :shock: (it wasn't down to skill.... I just used a bigger blank :wink: )
ive heard this before, something about filing the screw bit so it doesnt pull the auger through,or a d lamp auger?? still trying to find tips,

MIGNAL":2py9hff8 said:
The long hole boring kits will work fine in wood like Maple and Walnut, just take it easy and clear the chips very frequently. It's a slow process. The process is detailed on the Record Power website:
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.pl?s=knowledge&dc=16&dp=56
Professional makers of woodwind instruments use what is known as a gun drill and compressed air but this is an expensive option.

You can then enlarge the hole (if required) by using spade bits ground to a pointed V shape.
slow is how its happening for me,i plan to use a good hard wood ,as knotless as poss,thanks

Latest posts

Back