Small lathe chuck, first purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I see forom the compo for turned work that theres a number of turners on here :D

Ive managed to convince a family member to get me one for Xmas.
Ive a small lathe- Axminster perform cc somethings. The yellow one that came out about 8 years ago with the extension bed.
All in all its been a good tool, and ive used it for a number of bowls inc a couple of nice time spend ones, some bed posts, and with the extension fitted a pair of meter long tapering columns for a reproduction fireplace(that was fun)

But i was always stuck for mounting work. Faceplate mounted for the outside with screws then paper and glue to enable the inside to be hollowed out. But as you all no doubt know its likely to be offcenter
So ive finally gotten around to getting one and someone else has to buy it :lol:

This is the choice - The Record Power RP2000 compact scroll chuck
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/co ... tpi-thread

I really cant believe its so small- 62mm diameter. I actually cant believe its so cheap

Anyone got one ? and can offer some advice. :D
Like how secure does it hold. Obviously i dont see it being tightened up on work as you would with a nut and bolt which i guess would crack or break it so what stops it from loosening off while in use ? Is the scrolling action stiff or does it naturally just hold tight at hand tightness.

What about the Nova G3 ?

Scroll chucks hold very securely, a function of the scroll pitch which has a very strong wedge action on the accessory jaw carriers.
Look at the millions of metal working lathes that have been fitted with such for decades if not centuries.

I would suggest that you would be advised to go for at least an 80mm diameter chuck, even a 100mm such as the Axminster SK100 would not be too heavy for your lathe.

One of the things that may not be obvious is to check on the availability and range of accessory jaws available for the chuck body you choose, not all brands have a substantial range.

I'm only a novice turner but I echo what Chas has said about the Axminster scroll chucks, they do a very versatile system weigh a wide range of jaw choices.

CHJ":158s7xed said:
Scroll chucks hold very securely, a function of the scroll pitch which has a very strong wedge action on the accessory jaw carriers.
Look at the millions of metal working lathes that have been fitted with such for decades if not centuries.

I would suggest that you would be advised to go for at least an 80mm diameter chuck, even a 100mm such as the Axminster SK100 would not be too heavy for your lathe.

One of the things that may not be obvious is to check on the availability and range of accessory jaws available for the chuck body you choose, not all brands have a substantial range.

Thanks for the answer but i dont think th xmas pressie fund can extend that far and to be honest i do only use the lathe very occasionally. Pens, small bowls up to 8", S&P shakers and the like. In fact its not been used for the last 11 months.

But ill take it on board and have a gander at them. 8)

Latest posts

Back