hardwood lipping kitchen worktops (bushy/melamine type)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ_1380

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Just wondering if people have had much success fitting a solid edge lipping to kitchen work tops whilst keeping the lipping flush to the top?

I have just tried gluing and pocket screwing the lipping to the work top, this worked fantastically (Pocket screws on underside of worktop). However when gluing up I found keeping the lipping perfectly flush to the worktop was just too hard. I've always been told to leave the lipping ever so slightly proud of the worktop and then scrape it down when the glue has set. I'm finding it impossible to get a true flush joint when without scratching the melamine surface.

Has anyone got any tips? Or is this just the reason that you don't see it very often as its so hard/ time consuming to do.

Cheers

Russ

Hello Russ

I take it you have already glued the lipping on so you have to flush it down to the laminate, if its not to wide i would use a scraper but trap a piece of paper between scraper and laminate to stop it scratching, and yes it will be very time consuming but well worth the effort in the end.

Good luck Chris ( Cabinetmaker)

Hi Russ, I've used a heavy flat plate, overshooting a bit on the worktop and push the hardwood against this when screwing them. Works for me, but these were profiled lipping's with insert strips covering the screws (perpendicular screws) don't know how they would work with pocket screwing. However you could do it this way and use plugs in screw holes, or silicone them into position, which would both fix and waterproof and would allow you to pocket screw from the bottom of the worktop. Hopes this helps...bosshogg :)

:arrow: Joiner/Kitchen fitter

A dip of something in the order of 2 degrees from flat would allow you to scrape away the excess without scratching the laminate and would likely be un-noticed.
xy

Cheers guys.

Thanks for the tips, I've been playing around today.

I tried the paper technique but struggled with it. I also tried scraping at a slight angle with more success. From having a go at it I think I can safely say this is why hardwood flush lipping is not seen often on plastic laminate tops, its near impossible to get it perfectly flush without scratching the plastic and turning it white!

If anyone is interested the best way I found was a combination of what people suggested on the thread. I glued it down ever so slightly proud of the surface (much less than a finger nail) then scraped it very carefully. The end result is a flush as I think anyone will get it without scratching the plastic, although if you closed your eyes and rubbed your finger over it you can just feel the transition between plastic and wood). Not ideal but far from looking shabby.

A good learning curve anyway, thanks for advice

Russ

Back