Handsaw problem...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'd rather have a pint and a chat with Simon Barley than one of those so-called stars of "I was nearly a celebrity once and now I'd do anything to get back on the telly" - or a smarmy know-nothing journalist.

Just sayin'.....

Cheshirechappie":2cyq9yxy said:
I think I'd rather have a pint and a chat with Simon Barley than one of those so-called stars of "I was nearly a celebrity once and now I'd do anything to get back on the telly" - or a smarmy know-nothing journalist.

Just sayin'.....

Quite so!
Having met Simon briefly, I can confirm that he is a true gentleman, happy to share his knowledge with others, and not dull at all.

I think other people must have a different idea of what is dull. I flicked through the whole list, and thought that some of the interests were quite intriguing, and at least they all HAD interests, and DID something. Better than spending your life sitting in front of the TV eating junk food. That's what I call dull.

Sheffield Tony":3qlke068 said:
I think other people must have a different idea of what is dull. I flicked through the whole list, and thought that some of the interests were quite intriguing, and at least they all HAD interests, and DID something. Better than spending your life sitting in front of the TV eating junk food. That's what I call dull.

Couldn't agree more, all of these gents have spent their time far more profitably than most of the general population... it's ironic though that the author hasn't added himself as number 24 - "the dull man who spent his time chasing dull men.."

rafezetter":1lkrq9jp said:
Sheffield Tony":1lkrq9jp said:

Couldn't agree more, all of these gents have spent their time far more profitably than most of the general population... it's ironic though that the author hasn't added himself as number 24 - "the dull man who spent his time chasing dull men.."
The author should be number 1 in his list. :)

I note too, most if not all, of the subjects highlighted are middle aged men or older. All of which, I should imagine would have been used to spending their free time and imagination to a purposeful end. I suspect most men of their generation had one hobby or another and no doubt little or no money to indulge on it.
While not true of all, kids of today seem to resist all forms of activity, menatl or physical if it requires having to leave their sole occupied, high tech, carpeted, centrally heated bedrooms, unless of course it involves spending lots of money or having someone take them by the hand and provide the entertainment for them.

I suspect too, the Hack responsible, hails from a time or background alien to that of his/her subjets already mentioned (middle aged 0r older). Perhaps they should look at and consider their own lifestyle choices. Sitting in a trendy coffee shop drinking £3.00 a whup coffees, bemoaning the state of the economy and the hardships they face getting a foot on the property later is what I consider to be duller than Mr Dull, winner of last years Mr Dull competion or would have been except he was too dull to turn up and collect the Dull award.

David

what a cruel little book, even though i suppoose its tongue in cheek; and a cruel little article written by - i guess - a cruel little man.

knowing simon reasonably well and counting him as a friend i can vouch that he is far from dull*; he's excellent company, and his collection is of course the raw material for his research project culminating in his book. would that alll of us used our retirement so usefully.

as for the telegraph article; i can only suggest that it illlustrates the sort of paper it is and supports my reading a paper owned by a trust rather than one owneed by two brothers who live on a remote island in the english channel.

gosh i'm annoyed aboutt this......

h

* then again, do i think this because i'm dull myself? probably........

My understanding is the people in the book were willing participants rather than victims.

You reach a certain age and you stick two fingers up at what people "think" and do whatever you damn well please!
You will notice they are all blokes and physically or mentally over 50 :lol:

lurker":3rt9l2qi said:
My understanding is the people in the book were willing participants rather than victims.

You reach a certain age and you stick two fingers up at what people "think" and do whatever you damn well please!
You will notice they are all blokes and physically or mentally over 50 :lol:

Of course they were blokes! Can you imagine what the professional feminists would demand (stridently, and at length) for the author of any book entitled, "The 23 Dullest Women in Great Britain"? I reckon they'd start with a demand for said author's ritual disembowelling on live TV, and work upwards from there...

Back