Handles For stanley 750,720

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":1ix1cu8i said:

I'm sure that method will work if you have various size dowels laying around, but I'm not so sure it is easier. The foil easily conforms to the interior dimensions of the socket giving you the top and bottom diameter of the socket as well as the length of the taper. I'm not the best on the lathe, so having a full size example of the socket to look at while turning was helpfull.

Kurt

I like the 750 handle style. I don't have any 750's as I usually sell them. My user preference are Swans, Witherby's and Greenlee's but I turn 750 style handles for them. Each handle is individual as I like to make the taper on the lower part of the handle match the taper of the outside of the socket.
I use dowel as a depth gauge as BB. I drill a 1/4" hole in a piece of scrap and insert the dowel. Put the scrap on top of the chisel socket and tap in the dowel until it bottoms out. This gives you the length of the taper and the bottom diameter. Use calipers to measure the inside diameter of the chisel socket at the top and you have your dimensions.
Another tip: Don't clean the inside of the socket. The rust and dirt transferred to your handle as you fit show you where to file or rasp off high spots.

Kurt Loup":3kaenocg said:
I'm sure that method will work if you have various size dowels laying around
Kurt

Most people have twist bits in closely varying sizes... any cylindrical object will do.

BugBear

bugbear":xcdba64e said:
Kurt Loup":xcdba64e said:
I'm sure that method will work if you have various size dowels laying around
Kurt

Most people have twist bits in closely varying sizes... any cylindrical object will do.

BugBear

I always use 1/4" dowel. No need for varying sizes. It is very important that the handle does not bottom out in the socket.

Roger Nixon":3ke3ut4v said:
Each handle is individual as I like to make the taper on the lower part of the handle match the taper of the outside of the socket.

True. I attempted to do that on the handles pictured above.

Kurt

Kurt Loup":2mqu6t5r said:
Roger Nixon":2mqu6t5r said:
Each handle is individual as I like to make the taper on the lower part of the handle match the taper of the outside of the socket.

True. I attempted to do that on the handles pictured above.

Kurt

And you did a nice job! Those are pretty.

Back