Handlemania!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess I finally succumbed to the handle making disease sweeping the board!
Last week I came across a socketed large lock Mortice chisel by Marples with a smashed handle and also a nice axe head by Whitehouse aand Sons with no handle.
Having seen what some of the guys here can do with saws etc I thought I'd have a go:
Handle-02.jpg

mlock01.jpg

Found an old bit of mahogany and ran it on the lathe to get a pleasing size and shape. Not in retrospect the best choice of timber as it is very open grained and not easy to finish smooth. Used inside calipers for the socket and was careful not to bottom the handle in the socket.

For the axe I thought I would try to reduce my greenheart mountain and this was a superb choice of material. I planed a billet square and then drew a pleasing handle shape, copying from a picture I had. Cut to the lines on the bandsaw and sanded fair. Then marked 5mm chamfers freehand on all corners a la MikeW Saw Handles. Used spokeshaves to carefully trim the chamfers then remarked smaller chamfers and cut again. Slowly achieved an oval with slightlty flat sides which felt right. Fitted the head with small tenon saw cuts and kerfed for a wedge.
Hand sanded down to 400 grit and the n paste wax, this now feels like silk.
ax.jpg

This did not take so long as I thought it might so will make a start on the drawkinives and other odd tools that need handles.
It is very satisfying work indeed.
Regards
Martin

Good looking work, Martin.

The axe handle is a thing of beauty - and that chisel looks a fearsome implement with the long handle. Mahogany may not be the best for the job, but you couldn't tell by looking at it :)

Proper job, Martin =D> Although it's reminded me of the lock mortise chisel I have which is also awaiting a handle, which may be hard to forgive. ](*,) :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Martin

Nice work. And that's the "improved" version of a lock mortise chisel IIRC and really strong - makes you wonder what someone did to it to smash the handle!

Regards.

Back