Handle collet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stenik

Newby to the world of woodturning
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help. I'm thinking of turning some handles and want to be able to swap out gouges as and when I want to. I've been looking and the hope/ sorby handles seem/are a little out of my price range. I was wondering if anyone knows of where you can get hold of the ferrel with the grub screws in to make it easy. I've attached a pic of the sorby system but I've seen on YouTube others with interchangable bars but no links to where they got the equipment.
Any help appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230623-180626.png
    Screenshot_20230623-180626.png
    177.4 KB · Views: 0
You could make your own from an ER collet handle.
- Tips & Tricks

ER collets come in a range of sizes & holding capacities. Each (metric) collet has a 1mm gripping range thus a 13mm collet will grip down to 12mm.
ER 20 collets range up to 13mm
ER 25 collets range up to 16mm
ER32 collets range up to 20mm
- ER Collets - Arc Euro Trade

If you are turning your own handles, do you need interchangeability - just make more handles. Ash spindles are not expensive and you can use short bits of old 15 mm copper pipe (or something a bit bigger if you need to) for ferrules. I can understand the desire for swapping out the gouges if you have a big heavy 'system' handle for things like deep hollowing but aside from that why over complicate.

Back