Hand tool aesthetics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":f0amuq68 said:
Popcorn, anyone? :)

giphy.gif

(makes a change from M Jackson)

BugBear

Andy Kev.":1cq0j1ky said:
Jacob":1cq0j1ky said:
Dunno I quite like it. Better than Spinach green or charcoal grey
Have a peep at the Bridge City Toolworks Website.

Gentlemen intending to view said site should however brace themselves as it may have an effect on their blood pressure.

Plus a stout wallet!
Lovely stuff, but way beyond my pocket.

Bod

I think it is pleasurable to use tools that are as much form as function. Of course I am but a humble amateur, so I can indulge this side of my woodworking. :)

Here are a few I built. All are used like any other tool ...

Mitre box:

f24d6ea3-62b8-469c-804d-5c99c0c8a523_zps150f2fe1.jpg

Close up of the saw handle, which has a projecting lamb's tongue (required carving away the rest to create this). Here it is with a small crosscut joinery saw:

5JoinerySaw.jpg

Mortice gauge:

8_zpsdjorefly.jpg

Bridle plough plane:

A2C9BAA6-1EEE-493B-ABC6-C31651F8B0BE_zpsib1r0tis.jpg

5" brace:

Brace-complete3.jpg

There are lots more.

Regards from Perth

Derek

MMM, Very nice, I would be afraid to scratch them!
I'D probably use them once, and then in the cabinet, a thing or two of beauty there!
Rodders

Jacob":348ni4ns said:
There's a lot of chat about plane aesthetics, paint colours etc.
What about this sort of stuff for inspiration?
I sometimes think woodworkers are a bit timid.

hqdefault.jpg

That's the kind of aesthetics I'd associate with belt sanders, or battery drill-drivers with brand names like 'Fester'. Usually the ones aimed at the posh DIY market rather than the trade or pro user - the sort sold with a box of four hundred and twenty-seven accessories, of which you only ever use two or three.

Each to their own, but not quite my cup of tea.

giphy.gif

Ahh, Barbara - sigh - I remember when I used to think she was so hot. And her co-star Larry, in pre-Dallas days (no, I didn't think he was hot - ahem :oops: ). - Still, I'm not what I used to be either (another sigh).

Cheers, Vann.

She's got a nice collection of derringer pistols though, I wonder if any of them are guilty of being fractionally more decorative than necessary?

Were I to e.g. come into an inheritance or have some sort of lottery win, I'd definitely order that Holtey block plane. On the other hand, I would not consider saving up for it and the reason is the law of diminishing returns: while I'm prepared to believe that it delivers the extra 5% of performance to set it above rivals, I'm not convinced that that would make me want to give up my Veritas low angle block for it.

Nonetheless, Mr Holtey should get something like an MBE for producing what are surely the most flawless planes in the world.

Incidentally, I would like that Bridge City small block plane with depth skids (despite the outrageous price) because the function that it offers is something worth having.

I am already working on a No 984 but even I find it difficult to equal the No 983 again let alone beat it. It is always my policy that I must make a better plane than the one that preceded it.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Karl

Mr Holtey, beautiful planes. Your work is outstanding. I was wondering if you sell planes irons that can be put in stanley/clifton/lie nielse planes? Would be very nice to have a thick Holtey blade in my plane.

Ali

ali27":38439c2z said:
Mr Holtey, beautiful planes. Your work is outstanding. I was wondering if you sell planes irons that can be put in stanley/clifton/lie nielse planes? Would be very nice to have a thick Holtey blade in my plane.

IIRC Karl did, but a very long time ago. They're no longer available.

(searchy)

It appears you're 7 years too late:

holtey-replacement-irons-t5121.html

BugBear

bugbear":3vul5gc3 said:
ali27":3vul5gc3 said:

(searchy)

BugBear

I had read some very good things about Mr Holtey's A2 steel. But it seems I am just
a little bit too late :lol:

Ali

ali27":1jncsary said:
bugbear":1jncsary said:
ali27":1jncsary said:

(searchy)

BugBear

I had read some very good things about Mr Holtey's A2 steel. But it seems I am just
a little bit too late :lol:

Ali

Wow. You were evidently in an archive. If Karl did still make blades, they'd be S53. He gave up A2 a VERY long time ago,.

Here's Brent Beach testing a S53 blade, back in 2002.

http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpe ... ytest.html

BugBear

One wonders if somebody testing steels ought to know the answers to the questions they raised themselves:

"The 0.5 microbevel looks much different from other irons. This is the only iron that showed this pattern of bright spots. I understand that these blades are made of powdered bits of carbide (or something like that). Perhaps the individual bits of carbide are reflecting separately from whatever holds them together. Then again, it could just be the angle of the light."

End quote.

"Or something like that...," "perhaps," "then again it could be...," "...from whatever holds them together..." -- none of this sounds very scientific to me.

Amateur metallurgy run amok? Whom would you trust, Brent Beach or Karl Holtey?

This is how Brent Beach describes the microscope he uses for his testing:

"An amazing toy (under $50 off the internet) that can open the microscopic world to you. "

It this weren't so pathetic it would be funny. Well, check that, it is funny.

Back