Hand Saw Sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
In the past I have tried somewhat unsuccessfully to sharpen my own handsaws, and so before I moved up here I used to get an old boy in Portsmouth to do them for me.
But now I think it is about time that I learnt to do them myself, so I am wondering if there are (preferably) any DVD's or books on the market that might help me to achieve this?

Obviously you need a saw set and files, but is there anything else on the market that may help me be more successful this time?

Can anyone recommend a decent saw set?

Any tips or advice will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Mike

Taunton have an internet short about sharpening a dovetail saw, which is good if brief.

You need a good saw vice, good light and it's no good being in a hurry.

I've got a Disston saw set in good nick going spare if you want to arrange a swap for something, but it's not so hot for fine teeth on backed saws. I prefer my Eclipse 77 (cheap as chips on ebay) which bends the teeth in a soft curve rather than folding them at a hard, straight angle; though the Eclipse is still a bit clumsy at anything finer than 12 tpi.

Thanks Mr Jay, if I cannot get one that will cope with fine teeth as well as the other types, and I have to buy two, then I will get back to you about the Disston.

Thanks for the link.

Cheers

Mike

Mr Jay,

I've got a Disston saw set in good nick going spare if you want to arrange a swap for something, but it's not so hot for fine teeth on backed saws.

Can anyone recommend a saw set for a saw with fine teeth, or one that will cope with all saws?

Cheers

Mike

That great and along with Mr Jays link is sure to show me all I need to know, thanks Inspector.

Now I just need to get the tools.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":1f4e0t6k said:
Can anyone recommend a saw set for a saw with fine teeth, or one that will cope with all saws?

Hi Mike,

Can't recommend 'em personally, but they're on my 'to buy' list - these from Dieter Schmid Fine Tools (scroll down the page). Two saw sets that cover coarse and fine teeth:
http://www.fine-tools.com/euroscha.htm

Pete

Just as an aside here, has anyone tried the gents saw files from that website?
Seeing how files for dovetail saws are hard to coem by (for a good one anyways) I wondered how these perform?

Thanks BB, I will try using your visual aid too.

Last but not least, I am going to need a set of decent files. Are the ones Mooretoolsplease mentions any good, and what sizes will I need to sharpen (or try too) a variety of saws?

Thanks again

Mike

Traditionally you want a file not much more than twice the size of the teeth (hence the enormous variety of sizes on offer), that way the file wears evenly (yeah right) and you can get more use out of it. Given the amount of filing I do (not much) I don't worry about it too much. 60 degrees is 60 degrees. Sizes big, medium and little will be fine.

Mike.C":prkjmv4m said:
...are (preferably) any DVD's or books on the market that might help me to achieve this?

Obviously you need a saw set and files, but is there anything else on the market that may help me be more successful this time?

Tom Law over here produced a rather thorough video a few years back on basic saw filing. Had a lot of tricks in it like using spray sight black to darken the teeth, but didn't cover tensioning or advanced filing techniques.

It's the best one I know of.

49560838.jpg

If you're willing to stand up, you can make a more effective saw vise than you can buy. There are a couple of plans on the...one from The Cornish Workshop I believe. You don't have to move the saw while filing.

271069980.jpg

And you can scribe your angles into wooden jaws as guides.

The WoodCentral and Vintage Saws websites both have on-line basic filing tutorials. Some day I'll do an article on retensioning, removing dents, changing joints and sloping gullets.

Hi Bob, Thank you for the info. As it happens I received the Tom Law DVD today, which was kindly sent to me by one of the forum members.

I will take a look at the saw vice you mention because it sounds ideal.

Cheers

Mike

Some day I'll do an article on retensioning, removing dents, changing joints and sloping gullets.

Make that sooner rather than later, Bob! Someone has to produce the definitive guide, true hand saw doctors are getting a bit thin on the ground.
In fact I've seen your thread on the woodenboat forum regarding straightening kinks in saw blades and it's very informative. You could virtually cut and paste from that and you'd be off to a great start. Those nice clear photos really do help.

Yeah come on Bob, I agree with Mignal, give us the benefit of your experience. I for one would certainly be very interested it.

Cheers

Mike

Back