Hancock's Half Hour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Roger can't see where he is wrong there then I don't what to suggest.

As for locking the thread, if Roger doesn't want get involved he is free to ignore it (as he has done for me, thankfully). I find at the moment the people who have nothing to say or find others saying things they don't like seem to always want to shut them down.

Rorschach":2leuvc8g said:
I am glad for the people of NZ that they will be returning to something akin to normality soon. It still begs the question though, what now for the country as a whole. Their paranoia about C19 will keep them isolated for months, if not years now.

I've been out and about since the restrictions eased here in NZ and see no signs of 'paranoia'.
NZ and Oz are in talks about opening a travel 'bubble' between the two countries. If this excludes visitors from countries who have signally failed in their response to the pandemic - so much the better. Such visitors could hardly be expected to observe guidelines as visitors if they can't follow their own country's regime.
Apart from the table service, Saturday's visit to my local club seemed the same as before the pandemic as did shopping in the local supermarket and hardware store.
So, no observable paranoia, just sensible precautions.
I am cautious crossing the road. Or am I being paranoid?
Pete

woodhutt":3ua2us0e said:
Rorschach":3ua2us0e said:
I am glad for the people of NZ that they will be returning to something akin to normality soon. It still begs the question though, what now for the country as a whole. Their paranoia about C19 will keep them isolated for months, if not years now.

I've been out and about since the restrictions eased here in NZ and see no signs of 'paranoia'.
NZ and Oz are in talks about opening a travel 'bubble' between the two countries. If this excludes visitors from countries who have signally failed in their response to the pandemic - so much the better. Such visitors could hardly be expected to observe guidelines as visitors if they can't follow their own country's regime.
Apart from the table service, Saturday's visit to my local club seemed the same as before the pandemic as did shopping in the local supermarket and hardware store.
Pete

Would you mind if I asked a few questions?

How old are you?
Do you work?
If so what sector do you work in?
Do you ever travel outside of NZ/Australia?

Rorschach":zh3h42b1 said:
woodhutt":zh3h42b1 said:
Rorschach":zh3h42b1 said:

Pete

Would you mind if I asked a few questions?

How old are you?
Do you work?
If so what sector do you work in?
Do you ever travel outside of NZ/Australia?

OK. I'll play the game and answer your questions even though the answers are not as cut and dried as your questions (life never is).

1. I am 69
2. I retired less than a year ago.
3. I worked as a pipeline consulting engineer in the oil, gas and petrochemical industries, (both transmission and refinery/production). My work took me all over the Asia/Pacific region and the US.
4. I do travel outside NZ/Oz and had in fact planned a trip in September this year to Canada to visit my brother, then on to the UK to see friends and relatives, then home via Singapore with a short break in KL in Malaysia. The trip has naturally been postponed.

Hope this helps.
Pete

woodhutt":2phs2080 said:
OK. I'll play the game and answer your questions even though the answers are not as cut and dried as your questions (life never is).

1. I am 69
3. I worked as a pipeline consulting engineer in the oil, gas and petrochemical industries, (both transmission and refinery/production). My work took me all over the Asia/Pacific region and the US.
4. I do travel outside NZ/Oz and had in fact planned a trip in September this year to Canada to visit my brother, then on to the UK to see friends and relatives, then home via Singapore with a short break in KL in Malaysia. The trip has naturally been postponed.

Hope this helps.
Pete

Yes very helpful, I understand your viewpoint much better now, the answers were pretty much as expected.
We probably should have done this from the start and all put our cards on the table. I expect that given a few bits of information as above we could determine where people stand on the C19 issue.

Rorschach":22q4b6ze said:
woodhutt":22q4b6ze said:

1. I am 69

Hope this helps.
Pete

Yes very helpful, I understand your viewpoint much better now, the answers were pretty much as expected.
We probably should have done this from the start and all put our cards on the table. I expect that given a few bits of information as above we could determine where people stand on the C19 issue.

I would be interested to hear the answers to your own questions. Just so I can understand your viewpoint too.

Rorschach":1lx2fjhv said:

Pleased to be of assistance, even though all the cards on the table seem to have been mine. :|

woodhutt":3m2q3zc2 said:
Rorschach":3m2q3zc2 said:

Pleased to be of assistance, even though all the cards on the table seem to have been mine. :|
You also fit very neatly into the category of retired so no job / business concerns and in the higher risk group which he seemed very happy to allow to just take their chances and so what if they die for the sake of the economy.

Lons":35d46c7p said:
You also fit very neatly into the category of retired so no job / business concerns and in the higher risk group which he seemed very happy to allow to just take their chances and so what if they die for the sake of the economy.

I know my place... :lol:

Lons":3cipqw1j said:

Not true at all, please find where I said that?
I want to see the elderly protected as much as possible, I have stated this numerous times. If you are old or vulnerable, stay at home (if you want to). What I think is madness is that the rest of the country was forced into lockdown.

woodhutt":wifk37l4 said:
Rorschach":wifk37l4 said:

Give me a chance man! :lol:

I am 35, I am self employed as a professional craftsman producing what would be defined as fairly luxury goods for the export market. Most of my travel is within the UK, I travel abroad less than once a year on average.

RogerS":3bpgvn94 said:
As for Doctor Bobbles little snide dig...a bit rich from one who made a post that seemed to suggest that it was acceptable for more people to die if it meant no lockdown but when asked to debate this further was 'too busy' and 'you're being confrontational'. Not too busy to keep popping in to make these sly digs.

you were odds on favourite :lol:
Is it really that terrible I don't want a fight Roger? It's just I have enough on my plate. They aren't sly they are straight forward really.
I tend to catch up during tea and lunch brreaks, when I retire I'll take you on Roger, about another 20 years if the economy goes as predicted.

lurker":2tczj9fn said:
Rorschach":2tczj9fn said:
woodhutt":2tczj9fn said:

1. I am 69

Hope this helps.
Pete

I would be interested to hear the answers to your own questions. Just so I can understand your viewpoint too.

I'm afraid that we all know you will be waiting in vain. Wonder what he's hiding ?

Rorschach":32swp8bo said:

I am 35, I am self employed as a professional craftsman producing what would be defined as fairly luxury goods for the export market. Most of my travel is within the UK, I travel abroad less than once a year on average.

That's interesting. You say you're self-employed making goods for export and yet you travel abroad 'less than once a year'.
How do you keep in touch with your markets? Assess new potential? Expand your customer base?
Or are we talking about making and selling on E-bay and the like?
Pete

doctor Bob":3ajruf6o said:
RogerS":3ajruf6o said:
As for Doctor Bobbles little snide dig...a bit rich from one who made a post that seemed to suggest that it was acceptable for more people to die if it meant no lockdown but when asked to debate this further was 'too busy' and 'you're being confrontational'. Not too busy to keep popping in to make these sly digs.

you were odds on favourite :lol:
Is it really that terrible I don't want a fight Roger? .....

Neither was I yet you seemed to think me asking for some clarification indicated that I did. Weird. Takes all sorts.

RogerS":3tyvho43 said:
Weird. Takes all sorts.

Cool, it does indeed Rog, I also find you slightly weird in a nice way, it's what makes the world go round.

woodhutt":2nve6htq said:
Rorschach":2nve6htq said:

That's interesting. You say you're self-employed making goods for export and yet you travel abroad 'less than once a year'.
How do you keep in touch with your markets? Assess new potential? Expand your customer base?
Or are we talking about making and selling on E-bay and the like?
Pete

Don't want to get too off topic here but almost everything is done online. No need to travel, my customers contact me.

Rorschach":18kw3dua said:
Don't want to get too off topic here but almost everything is done online. No need to travel, my customers contact me.

What am I missing? Isn't that a business model that is pretty much immune to the effects of a UK lockdown?

Blackswanwood":1rktinot said:
Rorschach":1rktinot said:

What am I missing? Isn't that a business model that is pretty much immune to the effects of a UK lockdown?

UK specifically I am somewhat shielded personally, I do have customers here of course, just the bulk of business is export. I have lost custom here and abroad due to C19, although things have picked up a little and I got some unexpected orders from wealthier clients (who are probably benefiting in some way from lockdown in their countries).

I am not just interested in myself though, I have friends and family who are suffering because of this. At least one friend has lost their job (they are furloughed for now but the business is bust) and I know of others who are on very shaky ground.

Anyway, do I have to suffer personally to be against it, I can be altruistic in this

Rorschach":2qrng00l said:
I am not just interested in myself though, I have friends and family who are suffering because of this. At least one friend has lost their job (they are furloughed for now but the business is bust) and I know of others who are on very shaky ground.

Anyway, do I have to suffer personally to be against it, I can be altruistic in this

I agree, more worried for my son and his generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back