Hancock's Half Hour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually agree with Rorschach in that the results this year are bordering on farcical.

It is a shame really because there will be so many youngsters who will get a very rude wake up call over the next couple of years when it becomes apparent that they do not have what it takes to pass any degree's or A levels they may choose. Obviously this will not happen to all of the students that have a good mark but it will affect a number of them. This years grading will be remembered for many years for the wrong reasons and as a result will have an adverse effect on those who have passed on their own merits.

The media will be stoking the flames for many years to come.

Careful now agreeing with me, you will get in trouble ;)

The problem I see is two fold. Students who deserved good grades but got marked down will now suffer by not being able to reach their potential as they might have lost a university place or been forced to do a course they didn't want to do. Not only might they suffer academically but also from a morale standpoint, it could really set their confidence back.
Students who might have now been inflated beyond what they actually achieved may end up wasting money on a course they are not capable of completing and could fail or do very poorly. While this won't necessarily set them back academically it will do terrible things to their morale.

Right back to one of the original topics here, kids and schools.

Listened to the news today, people worried about kids going back next week, government bashing as usual. Scottish government has sent the kids back (no government bashing there, shocker! :rolleyes:) and Scotland now talking about face masks for the kids, I wonder if the people that came up with that have ever met a child?
Meanwhile in Sweden they must be baffled at the fuss we are going to, schools never closed there.

Quarantinewhile, at a school in Dundee, 22 of the staff have just tested positive along with many pupils and some visitors to the school and it has now been shut down for a least a fortnight

Meanwhile in Sweden they must be baffled at the fuss we are going to, schools never closed there.

Hmm.. There are other opinions on Sweden such as this in the New Scientist which claims they have done no better and sometimes worse than countries who enforced lockdown rather than their voluntary one which being Swedes the general public complied with. Economic and travel figures are interesting as well.

There's always more than one side to a story.
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...trategy-a-cautionary-tale-or-a-success-story/

Not envy, it's just the people here with money and comfort are always "I'm alright Jack" and don't care about those suffering. Maybe rich was the wrong word, lets change it for " those who have no money worries".

Again the personal insults, why can't you be civil like the vast majority on here. Even those who don't like what I say are still civil and polite in their disagreements as I am with them. It's a small group here that have to resort to personal attacks and it saddens me, why must you do it?

I don't know rorshcach, maybe it was the whole "I'm happy to let [old] people die so that I don't lose any money from an enforced lockdown" you kept spouting repeatedly that got some peoples backs up - or possibly the "I don't think wearing masks makes any difference" - or quite possibly it might have been the one where you claimed that the enforced lockdown killed more people via other means (suicide and medical situations) than if no lockdown had happened - but I could be guessing.....:rolleyes:

It might be new owners of the forum rorschach, but you do know it's still US you are talking to and we have memory spans longer than a few days, so don't play the "holier than thou" card with us eh? it'll just annoy people even more.

Edit - here's a question that's been bouncing around for a while, does anyone here remember seeing any actual WOODWORK from rorscach? Any projects or WIP's?

Last edited:
For those who might have watched the first interview here is a follow up with Michael Levitt. Very interesting to see where he went wrong but also how right he was in so many areas.

Edit - here's a question that's been bouncing around for a while, does anyone here remember seeing any actual WOODWORK from rorscach? Any projects or WIP's?

Is it necessary to post up stuff, not a lot of members do.

Just getting silly now, lecturers ******** themselves....... Just like care homes .......... NO!!!
1 death today.
This is now beyond my comprehension of ***********.
Pure scaremongery now by the broadcasters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even the Daily Fail is struggling to keep the pandemic panic going: Pockets of New York and London 'could have herd immunity' to Covid-19

It all comes down to whether there is already any inbuilt immunity to this virus, or there isn't. One school of thought says 80-100% of people have to catch the virus, with its associated megadeath consequences.

Another school of thought suggests that 15-20% of the population are susceptible - the remainder have some to full immuniy through previous encounters with similar viruses, plus built in generic defenses.

Just getting silly now, lecturers ********* themselves....... Just like care homes .......... NO!!!
1 death today.

Wow.....so you really ARE a Doctor. I never realised. So we can all safely ignore anything that SAGE says. Phew..that's a relief. Covid is a myth. All down to 5G. Rest easy. Doctor Bob says it's all hot air and nothing be concerned about.

They need to keep up the fear otherwise they will be shown to have overreacted and cost the country (world) a fortune thanks to lockdowns that were never needed.
Countries that had lockdowns and countries that didn't are all starting to head toward a similar % of deaths. Countries like NZ that locked down very effectively now have a choice to make, stay isolated or allow some deaths.

Just getting silly now, lecturers ********* themselves....... Just like care homes .......... NO!!!
1 death today.

I did pinch myself when I saw someone spouting on about universities being the next care homes ... presumably they missed that people in care homes are in a high risk category and the vast majority of students are not. If it was a lecturer who said it and I rocked up at university and found them teaching me I think I'd be looking for a rebate on my fees. In my opinion universities and schools need to crack on and do the best they can, make provision for those who are high risk (defer a year/remote tutoring?) and accept that there is no perfect answer.

In fairness I think the broadcasters are just doing their job and have to present both sides of the argument but in general we filter out the bits we don't want to hear. The BBC have been doing some pretty good "myth buster" stuff throughout - for instance, I saw one on the app yesterday about the returning to school argument.

Have you seen any impact on business yet Bob? My wife is a director of a small house builder (small company not small houses;)) and they have seen no let up in demand and are faced with a decision about what to commit on for next year which they are finding really difficult.

Have you seen any impact on business yet Bob? My wife is a director of a small house builder (small company not small houses;)) and they have seen no let up in demand and are faced with a decision about what to commit on for next year which they are finding really difficult.

It's all good at present, which I'm amazed by. However I'm also amazed by people in or associated with "construction" attitude to the future, everyone seems to think it's going to be rosey and great for ever, I think the opposite, we just tend to lag behind a bit.
I have taken the opportunity to have a tidy up business wise, return one of our trucks which was just a vanity object, condense the workforce and let some subbies go.

Watching the news this evening there is all doom and gloom as usual, pushing the fear agenda. But then they give the daily figures and it's just such a non-event. Thousands of cases every week now, a handful of deaths. 3 deaths in the last 24 hours, not directly C19 related, just within 28days of a positive test and somehow we are all meant to be worried? We might as well say no-one is dying of C19 as that's basically what the figures show.
With the way things are surely we should be encouraging the spread, it's clear that whatever is spreading at the moment is nothing to be worried about at all.

After a mid July low of 350 cases we have seen a steady rise to now regularly more than 1500 cases a day, deaths since July though continue to stay so low that most days you can count them on your fingers. Still the media hype continues though and local lockdowns being enforced even though the first of these (Leicester) saw no additional deaths or hospitalisations from their apparent increases in cases.
The madness continues.

Very simplistic.

The growth in cases - current levels 2900, not 1500, is principally amongst the young who are relatively unaffected by the virus.

Over 80 age group case levels have actually declined and others over 60 have only marginally increased. Infection levels amongst the 60+ are approx 30% of younger groups.

Deaths will also typically follow infection by around 2-4 weeks so comparing current deaths with current cases is incorrect.

There is much we still don't know about the virus - is it mutating to become less dangerous, is testing incorrectly detecting dead virus, do certain groups have some immunity anyway, will vaccine work etc etc.

Some are happy to buy in to whichever sources echo their views of covid reality. Mostly they are ill-informed self publicists. A few have some scientific credibilty but are standing alone in their beliefs.

We should aim to be rather more balanced in our responses to the virus
  • it will not, with sensible management and behaviours, wipe out humanity,
  • there is a price to be paid - economic and social - for restrictions
  • the complacent "the madness continues", "it's all a conspiracy", "flu is worse" are risking overwhelming resources if they are proved wrong.

Deaths will also typically follow infection by around 2-4 weeks so comparing current deaths with current cases is incorrect.

Cases have been increasing for more than 9 weeks since the early summer low point, deaths have continued to fall in that period. Explain that?

I heard Hancock on the radio this morning, more new restrictions coming in to "simplify" the rules. More farce and more fear mongering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back