hammers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markus

Established Member
Reaction score
any one got douglas tool 15oz finish hammer? whats it like? looks the dogs pineapples but is it?,mark

Just bought a Stanley fatmax with straight claws and antivibe system.I like it,well balanced.

Tom

Which handle does your estwing have the leather discs or the plastic,I have had several of the plastic and found them great when new with plenty of grip,but they eventually wear smooth and are very difficult to grip all day long.The one I have now is a stanley anti-vibe which took a lot of getting used to after over 40 years of estwings I dont find it as well ballanced as them but find it much easier to grip with the curved bit at the bottom.

Dennis

dennis":fi5wzowu said:
Tom

Which handle does your estwing have the leather discs or the plastic,I have had several of the plastic and found them great when new with plenty of grip,but they eventually wear smooth and are very difficult to grip all day long.The one I have now is a stanley anti-vibe which took a lot of getting used to after over 40 years of estwings I dont find it as well ballanced as them but find it much easier to grip with the curved bit at the bottom.

Dennis

Its the one with the leather discs Dennis and I like it a lot. I also have a couple of the old Stanleys that I inherited keep looking at the new designs though always like having a bit of variety its the spice of life I'm told :)

Tom

My first hammer was a stanley steelmaster,the rubber used to come loose on the handles with those,they were really numb to use after getting used to an estwing.

Dennis

My favourite is the leather disk Estwing but anywhere it might get damp the vinyl handle rules. I liked the balance of the ‘weight forward’ in the shop but real world hitting in any direction other than down feels all wrong and so I hardly use it.
Jon.

Dennis, is that the one with the chrome tube shaft and black rubber grip?
I have one but they are very hard on your wrists after a days work eh.
Always preferred the hickory until I got the Estwing.

Regards Tom

Yes thats the one.Are the black and white decorative bits on your estwing plastic or leather,I have known two cases of the plastic breaking on the later models.One of the first old joiners that I worked with had one with leather discs,it was his pride and joy, the discs would shrink at times and nip your hand,he would then hammer the rivets in the bottom over to tighten them up.Do you ever have this problem.I was once hitting a nail bar to strip some shuttering with an estwing and the shaft snapped clean in half they wouldnt replace it as they said they are strictly for knocking nails in or pulling them out,so I got it stainless steel welded and it lasted for years.

Dennis

Dunno what make this is but it's over thirty years old, might be nearly forty and the handle is original.
2032089097_924f819c21.jpg

The upgrade was recent :D

I've just done some arithmetic and I can guarantee it's hammered in over 150,000 2" annular ring shanks in it's prime :)

That is a Maydole design hammer. It was licensed to many makers. Many folks, such as Chris Schwarz, swear by them.
I still have the first hammer I bought, a 16 oz Stanley claw hammer with hickory handle. It is 39 years old, still original, and still my favorite 16 oz but my favorite finish hammer is a 13 oz Rich-Con ca 1930.

I bought a stiletto ,very light weight and it holds a nail in its head for overhead nailing....swing it all day and never get tired.

Back