hammerite

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
I cant seem to find hammered light green listed at the usual diy stores
is it still available?

Steve

Steve, I took this path four/five years ago. Your AGS was finished in OLD Hammershite and it was probably baked on. The real McCoy. Ain't around no more.

Wickes, believe it or not, do a reasonable facsimile in terms of colour, but it is total p*ss in terms of durability. I repainted my AGS using cellulose thinners in a cheapo spray-gun, and it took three 'go's' to get a smooth hammered look. It helped to cure the paint that I did it in July, but unless you know a car body shop friend, don't eben think about doing it in present humidity and temperature.

Subsequent careless dropping of timber on the paint have chipped it, particularly on cormers or edges, but I had taken care to rust-proof and undercoat the beast, so, so far, no bubbling rust and lifting paint.

Sam

Sam to the rescue yet again...thankyou
it is just for the new base so tbh was just a whim of getting something close

cheers and merry xmas

Steve

I recently resprayed an old Startrite saw in hammer finish green. I tried to buy the correct paint from Altsaws in Kent, but he said his normal supplier was no longer making it.
I did a bit of searching and found this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hammer-Finish ... 645c5fe9c3

I took a chance and ordered a litre and some Xylene thinners ( which are a must if you are planning on spraying hammer finish paint) and I'm chuffed with the quality of the finish I achieved. I applied 2 light coats, the second coat immediately after the first. Apparently, it's important to do it this way from what I read. If you allow the first coat to dry, then you have to wait 4 or 5 weeks before you apply the second coat.

I was hoping to buy it off the shelf
it is just for the stand so will just be whatever I can get for now
maybe if I can get some me time I will re-do in the future

Steve

Flag paints do a good "repro" hammered finish that is close to the older "brand leader". Toolstation used to sell the Flag stuff in lots of colours (got green from them), but since they've been employing 10-year-old Peruvians on contract in their purchasing department...

... Flag did have an on-line store, and last time I looked you could still get green. Their stuff has recently been WAY better than the original brand.

The eco-friendly re-formulation has all but made the "big brand" useless. I find myself adding solvent to old tins to revitalize them, because even that gets better results than the new-formula stuff I've had to buy (to get odd colours in a rush).

Check out Flag - if they haven't messed with it, I'd bet you'll get better results with it - and their green was nice! It matches old Kity colour pretty well but is a bit darker.

Back