Hall Table in Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Roger 8)
My wife likes the look of it :lol:
Nice job, simple contempory timeless

Sawdust Producer":3izwh4e7 said:
Lovely
better than a rad cabinet any day and how did you manage to get the Robin pose for you? :D

Thanks sawdustproducer. SWMBO had been pestering me to build a radiator cover but I have no enthusiasm for them. Her "revenge" was to come home having identified a £595 alternative! This way she got her table and I got my TS and P/T and had a lot of fun as well.

The Robin? Little blighter was as cheeky as they come. I guess I could have carried on working but didn't want them to abandon the nest between the 3/4 empty time expired cans of paint we all keep, never to be used again, but we can't throw them out. :lol:

yep have to say also a fine job made good there.

Only do tell how long it took you to make, this would help many other hobbists and even a few pros to think it out - if there's a profit in making such pieces .

looking good there kid :D

houtslager":34mgi836 said:
Only do tell how long it took you to make, this would help many other hobbists and even a few pros to think it out - if there's a profit in making such pieces .
:D

Thanks houtslager. Having looked at some of your pieces on your website I think I understand where you're coming from. My guess is that it probably took 50 - 60 hours. But I wasn't hurrying - I just worked at my own pace, and sometimes stopped to think things through and just play with ideas. That's why I do woodwork as a hobby. I have enough stress and pressure in my working life that I just love slowing down to do something at a pace where it takes as long as it takes, use the other side of my brain, and there is no target completion date. It's done when it's done.

Of course you cannot run a business that way. Assuming I "saved" £450, that means I was working for £9 per hour. But then if I was doing it for a living I'd have dovetail jigs, a mortiser etc, and much of the stuff that I hand cut would have been machined. I would have had more clamps etc and my "pondering" time would have been cut short - and I wouldn't have enjoyed myself half as much. My guess is that with a properly equiped workshop I could have made it in 1/4 the time and had 1/10th the fun. As it was, I was learning how to use a new T/S and P/T which takes time, and if I was to make another I could probably make it in half the time. I tend to work outside whenever the weather allows and it's nice to stop with a cuppa and look at the view and listen to the wind in the trees and the birds singing.

Not sure whether this answers your question, but that's my answer! :-({|= :lol:

I really like it!

I think something like that would go down very well in my narrow hallway, as it gives some useful storage whilst not being to great in depth.

I am completely with you on your take on 'saving' money, as I just bought a table saw, then made this with it.

I saw something in a catalogue for about the 400 pound mark, but it was also fun to make only took 8 hours (well my brother did it with me!) and I spent about 2 hours paring with a chisel to let the semi recessed sink in perfectly over the front profile.

amateur_chippy":391trfto said:
I really like it!

I think something like that would go down very well in my narrow hallway, as it gives some useful storage whilst not being to great in depth.

I am completely with you on your take on 'saving' money, as I just bought a table saw, then made this with it.

Thanks chippy. Because this piece was designed to double as a radiator cover as well as a table, the back overhangs more than the front so that it more or less covers the gap that a standard table would leave above the radiator between the edge of the tabletop and the wall.

I like your sink stand. Having let an inset basin into a dummy drawer front myself I can appreciate how tricky it is to get a nice even fit. I used a coping saw to get it roughly right and then a spokeshave to finalise the fit.

Latest posts

Back