Halifax Security alert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Received an email address as per title.
Telephoned Halifax and it is a scam. Naturally I did not open the mail and have put it straight into the delete box.

It appears other financal names will be used in addition to Halicax, it appears to be known as a fishing (phishing) mail.

Why didn't my over efficient virus protector Bullguard spot it?

I'm quite amazed that you have been using the internet for several years and not been targetted before..... these phishing emails have been doing the rounds for years - I used to get 2 or 3 a week, though not so many recently.

Most, if not all, of the major financial institutions make it clear that they will never send emails like this.

Dave

I have had an internet connection for 8 years and this was the first financial scam email I have ever received apart from those begging letters from our African friends in Nigeria.

I am inclined to think it has something to do with an order I placed two days ago with a well known internet supplier because they are the only people as far as I know who have had my email address in the past two days.

Could they be the source (recent mail)?

devonwoody":230hjr05 said:
Received an email address as per title.
Telephoned Halifax and it is a scam. Naturally I did not open the mail and have put it straight into the delete box.

It appears other financal names will be used in addition to Halicax, it appears to be known as a fishing (phishing) mail.

Why didn't my over efficient virus protector Bullguard spot it?

I've had them supposedly from Barclays and the most convincing from Paypal. As already said Banks just don't email costumers, but Paypal do, easy way to check if it's phishing is to right click and check out it's properties.

devonwoody":3b947jk9 said:
And what do you do your lordship after entering properties, what are we looking for?
The address it came from! compare it to the real address if it looks any different to the real address bin it.

PS... To find the real address in such as pay pal just click on your book marks of real links and look at that address.

Now you e-mail address is out in the open (and it is unlikely it was something that happened only a few days ago), lots of spammers will start to get hold of it so you will get more and more spam, not only supposedly for banks, but also for medical supplies, gambling, stocks and shares, etc. You will need to implement a spam-trap function if you want to keep your current e-mail address.

Some spam-trapping software can be difficult to implement and maintain, however, the Google mail spam trapping is very effective and can be used to filter spam such as the spam you received.

Sign up for a Gmail account http://mail.google.com . You can then use it to filter spam from up to five other e-mail accounts by letting Gmail collect your mail from ISP (it is under Gmail | Settings | Accounts).

Then just collect your mail from Gmail rather than collecting it directly from you ISP.

Latest posts

Back