Guns,guns, and more Guns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Artie
Apologies for taking it way off topic with the Watch discussion, but I hope you found it an interesting diversion.
No need to apologise.
I just find it funny when someone says "O you shouldn't this or that this thread is about..." when in fact most threads take many detours along their course.
I only picked on the watches because it was such a contrast to what the thread started out about.

Back to guns, and gun control. Have you thought about a referendum? Both sides would get to put their position to the public, neither would of course lie to you, quote misleading statistics, or exaggerate anything in support of their case.

Of course, no one would ever do that. :)

At the end you would have a nice definitive decision, which everyone would be happy had been arrived at In the finest traditions of democracy. Not sure if anyone has tried such an idea, but might be worth a go........???
Sounds like a great idea.
I'm trying to think of any recent referendums and if everyone was happy with the outcome. :)

Artie
Apologies for taking it way off topic with the Watch discussion, but I hope you found it an interesting diversion.
Back to guns, and gun control. Have you thought about a referendum? Both sides would get to put their position to the public, neither would of course lie to you, quote misleading statistics, or exaggerate anything in support of their case. At the end you would have a nice definitive decision, which everyone would be happy had been arrived at In the finest traditions of democracy. Not sure if anyone has tried such an idea, but might be worth a go........???
Given some of the deranged babbling that's resulted from the vaccine argument (e.g. thinking of the moron sandwich that is Marjorie Taylor Greene... Twitter aiding unidentified enemies in "a Communist revolution" etc) I can assume that a US gun referendum would be pure entertainment... in a look-at-that-car-repeatedly-crashing kinda way.

this is all a long way from the UK workshop forum I joined, must be many gun forums for this sort of stuff.
I'm not anti gun but I do think it's totally out of control in some countries.

this is all a long way from the UK workshop forum I joined, must be many gun forums for this sort of stuff.
I'm not anti gun but I do think it's totally out of control in some countries.
OK I'll bite.

What is out of control?

Nobody seems to want to talk about guillotines, garotting, or the noose?
Why is this?
Is it the absence of cowboy or glamorous gangster associations?
Guillotine sharpening could have some mileage in it I imagine.

Someone asked earlier about guns that shoot a burst instead of continuous fire. Like the military uses (from what I understand) - a 3 shot burst with a trigger pull.

No, those are not legal for the average citizen to own.

I think that burst option was added to military rifles to cut back on spray-and-pray people blazing through ammunition.

Nobody seems to want to talk about guillotines, garotting, or the noose?
Why is this?
Is it the absence of cowboy or glamorous gangster associations?
Guillotine sharpening could have some mileage in it I imagine.

Yes, why not ?
A guillotine sharpening thread would be right up my street.
I've been thinking about making one, in readiness for the coming
revolution. But, it needs to be sharp.

Yes, why not ?

Guillotines are easy to sharpen. You just need to make sure you use one of those oval stones with white spirit on, a nice coarse one so that the sound of the stone being slowly dragged across the edge of the blade can be heard from as far away as possible.

Nobody seems to want to talk about guillotine..
Why is this?

well, the hobby machines just aren't that affordable and the insurance is a puppy (that's an interesting conversion by the polite word maker, but I get the reference).

Plus, in some states, you're required to store them in a guillotine safe with a lock on the blade.

Yes, why not ?
I think i was the weight of the blade, length of drop and the angle of the edge that was primarily responsible for its effectiveness. Don't think the blade probably needed to be particularly sharp.

I think i was the weight of the blade, length of drop and the angle of the edge that was primarily responsible for its effectiveness. Don't think the blade probably needed to be particularly sharp.

That's comforting to know, in my case.
I'm carp at sharpening.
But, some good info there, thanks. (y)

Have to agree with you regarding the prison system. Only ways it could really work would be by have a really effective 're rehabilitation programme as a first step, and locking up up persistent offenders, who are unwilling or incapable of rehabilitation, for life, to save the rest of us from their depredations. In fact we do neither.

criminals are not born criminals. It comes with choices. Children education about choices and consequences are non existing. Consequences are long term
Even after “punishment” there is less chance they stay away from that way of live, if situation surrounding individual is significantly worst.
Yes, why not ?

😂
A20B6CF5-3949-4615-995F-00D59E3AD5AA.jpeg

It continues to amaze me how people can complain about a thread, rather
than just opting to not read/continue with it.

I like the usual complaint (the one here was sort of indirectly hinting, but not direct) of "this isn't a woodworking topic and it shouldn't be allowed in this forum" when the header for the Off-Topic forum literally states that the purpose of the forum is for topics not related to woodworking topics.

>> For non-woodworking related topics - yes I know it's a scary thought but there is a life outside woodworking <<

:D

behind only general woodworking and tools in post count.

I like the usual complaint (the one here was sort of indirectly hinting, but not direct) of "this isn't a woodworking topic and it shouldn't be allowed in this forum" when the header for the Off-Topic forum literally states that the purpose of the forum is for topics not related to woodworking topics.

>> For non-woodworking related topics - yes I know it's a scary thought but there is a life outside woodworking <<

:D

behind only general woodworking and tools in post count.

looks like plandemic bare it’s fruits ;)
COVID gestapos everywhere ;)
And civilised discussion is being complained about 😂 I bet as soon as Mike Superintendent sees it, I got banned again for 30 days 😂

Plus, in some states, you're required to store them in a guillotine safe with a lock on the blade.
Don't mess with me man - I proudly open carry!

(my back is knackered though; Madame La Guillotine is bl**dy heavy)

Back