Guess That Tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple if unusual tools not often seen these days. I can think of only one or two of the trade members who might know what they are, or convceivably even have used them. But thos two gents apart, anyone else know?:

IMG_0991small.jpg

and yes, I think I know the answer, but I didn't get it when I first saw these some 25 years+ back

Scrit

I don't know what they are for, but they look like they would be handy for coping that particular moulding, as well as laying it out. But that is a little too specialized, especially considering that a spare bit of moulding does just fine.

Sorry, monitor went down the tubes yesterday..... :twisted:

I reckon that Jacob (Mr Grimsdale) might well know. I'll post another photo of a different type of the same "thingy". A clue - they probably disappeared from most tool kits in the Victorian era:

IMG_0986small.jpg

If you don't have it by the morrow I'll reveal all, but I suspect Alf already has it.... :wink:

Scrit

Could it be that after you had worked the moulding, you would support the wood in the 'thingy' while working on the other side of it?

Paul

Sash Templates?

'Lambs Tongue' I believe they were called and you can still come across them stashed away in places :wink:

Colin C":3rukjazl said:
Are they for cutting the scribed ends when doing windows :?

Ploget":3rukjazl said:
Sash Templates?

Yes! As Alf twigged they are a set of sash or window maker's saddle templates for scribing thr rnds of sash bars

Scrit

Latest posts

Back