Griffiths of Norwich - Anyone heard of them?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losos

Established Member
Reaction score
My brother (Bless him) sent me a moulding plane for Christmas (He knows I collect them 'tho it's a very small collection at the mo')

Anyway, this one is made by Griffiths of Norwich and I must confess I hadn't come across that name before.

Anyone know any of their history, formation, when they ceased production, other products they made etc.

I've had hollows and rounds with that stamp on in the past. They'll be in Goodman, so perhaps Alf or BugBear would like to enlighten us.

Scrit

Losos,

I believe you have done very well indeed! I am looking at a Griffiths/Norwich moulder which cuts 4 beads arranged in a radius. This plane is beautifully executed in terms of boxing and the way the blade conforms to the complicated mould. I have seen other really fine planes made by Griffiths.

I seem to recall this is one of Bugbear's favorite subjects. Perhaps someone can supply dates and history.

What mould pattern did you get?

Wiley

Anyway, this one is made by Griffiths of Norwich and I must confess I hadn't come across that name before.

Anyone know any of their history, formation, when they ceased production, other products they made etc.

Hi Losos

My half set of H&R were made by Griffith of Norwich. I can't say much other than the previous owner, a cabinetmaker, brought them out to Australia in the late 1940s, and he then in his 70s. I recall discussing their origins on the Old Tools forum at the time I purchased them (from his daughter) a few years ago, but cannot now find the link. Perhaps Bugbear will be able to do so.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I remember reading that when the old griffiths building was being inspected,after closure--there were stacks of moulding plane blanks holding up roof beams & other structural members(this was late 50's i believe),this info can be found in an american antique tool book,it's a price guide i believe.

regards.

Thanks to all above

Wiley, mine only cuts two beads, but in all other respects it's like yours, nicely made, very nice patina, blade needs a tiny bit of work but will cut a fine shaving if I ever need to actualy use it :)

Shivers":3p1ynrup said:
I remember reading that when the old griffiths building was being inspected,after closure--there were stacks of moulding plane blanks holding up roof beams & other structural members(this was late 50's i believe),this info can be found in an american antique tool book,it's a price guide i believe.

regards.

Might have been duped, but that anecdote is in Salaman's Dictionary of Woodworking Tools.

http://www.astragalpress.com/dictionary ... _tools.htm

Publisher is American., Author is English, but it doesn't have prices I'm glad to say.

BugBear

The book/catalogue i read the quote in wasn't that one,it was one that had prices ect,it was titled american antique tools (something or other else),but i do remember it being a 1984 published edition.(a few hundred pages)

I've got the book buried in boxes at the moment,so give me a day or 2 & i'll get the title.

shivers

Nice one ED,i dont think you could ask for more info than that,

regards shivers.

Bugbear & Edmund
Thanks for those links - I sent them to by brother who lives not all that far from Norwich

Hi
I've just come across your site after coming across a set of 40 planers from my late father who passed away last December. Most of them have the engraving
" Griffiths of Norwich " and JW Dean .
He was 96 when he died and I believe these could have been his father's set from the 1920s/30s.
He was based in Chelmsford and worked for a local builder Doug Rollings at the time.
Does anyone know a collector who may be interested in this set .
I would love them to go to a serious collector if they have any value.
Kind Regards
Mike

Hi
I've just come across your site after coming across a set of 40 planers from my late father who passed away last December. Most of them have the engraving
He was 96 when he died and I believe these could have been his father's set from the 1920s/30s.
He was based in Chelmsford and worked for a local builder Doug Rollings at the time.
Kind Regards
Mike
Can you put a photo up so we can get a better idea of what's in the collection
Brian

Hi
Kind Regards
Mike
I've got a fair few Griffiths but unfortunately all from different owners.
There's a great write up on Griffiths in this book
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Norwich-To...ements=p_27:Michael+Shingfield&s=books&sr=1-1
Cheers, Andy

This thread is 17 years old and still going. . Is everyone involved still on the site and doing well? Please let us know :)

Hi
Kind Regards
Mike
I would be interested in them if you would like to pass them on. I work in London on major restoration projects to grade 1 or 2* listed buildings, so they would be put to good use and not just languish in a box somewhere.

This thread is 17 years old and still going. . Is everyone involved still on the site and doing well? Please let us know :)
I have a sash filister and plough by Griffiths, very nice they are too, and considerably older than the thread.

Whilst reading this ancient but fascinating thread I ended up going down a proverbial internet rabbit-hole..

I looked up the reference Bugbear mentioned to the book by Raphael Salaman in the hope that perhaps his collection of tools were available for viewing perhaps in a museum or similar - sadly they are not.
Whilst I was perusing the Harpenden History site mentioning Salman I noticed that a Major Esterhazy was also mentioned as having lived in the area and this Hungarian name reminded me of a character in the John LeCarre cold war thrillers called Toby Esterhase and I wondered if this was the inspiration for the characters name since they were both spies, however according to a biographer the name was inspired by another Hungarian Andre Deutsche.

News to me is the fact that LeCarre's novels inspired the now common references to 'mole' and 'honey trap' in respect to spies and sexual blackmail...

Back